Monday, September 11, 2006

Thinkspace

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thinkspace is the name of an art gallery in Silver Lake. I think this is an excellent name. Your thinkspace can be virtual. Your thinkspace can be an actual location. Your thinkspace can be a blank piece of paper or computer screen. Your thinkspace can be your brain. Whatever. Thinkspace is a brilliant name.
Today, my thinkspace is filled with images of 9/11. The images of that day are being repeated on TV, radio, newspapers, blogs, etc. The images are invading my thinkspace. Hopefully, all of this thinkspace invasion will help prevent another 9/11.
The Art Gallery, Thinkspace
This past Friday, Mr. Larry and I drove to Silver Lake to an art gallery reception at Thinkspace, 4210 Santa Monica Blvd. The current show is "PICKS OF THE HARVEST: BATCH THREE" with a featured installation by Audrey Kawasaki. This is a lovely little gallery. Audrey Kawasaki's pieces were in the window. Audrey had painted a special backdrop for her paintings. It was a beautiful display. Upon entering the gallery, proper, we saw hundreds of small paintings on the gallery walls. There are two levels to the gallery. The front is for paintings, the back is for the office and reception area. All ages of hipsters were there, with a majority of attendees in the under 35 age group. It was a scene. I was enchanted with a little painting by Shaunna Peterson. I bought it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My new painting by Shaunna Peterson
Most of the artists represented by this gallery are considered to be part of the lowbrow school of art. You can find a basic definition of lowbrow art here. Mr. Larry is the photographer to the lowbrow artists. We often have canvases all over our studio and home waiting to be photographed by Mr. Larry for publications, posters, trade magazines, etc. I like some lowbrow art, although my tastes in art generally run to the impressionistic, expressionistic and more painterly styles. I do have a great appreciation for the technical capabilities of the lowbrow artists. Mr. Larry, being a photographer, is a huge fan of surrealism, so he really digs lowbrow. Here are some examples of the pieces we viewed on Friday.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Audrey Kawasaki painting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Mr. Larry @ Thinkspace

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ms. Ellen @ Thinkspace

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4:04 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that the Freida hairband I see on the beautiful Ellen B? You look great. And I agree with Mr. Larry, lowbrow is my bag also. Though I do have a fondness for plein air also. [Ooh, I'm so edumacated about art :)]

 
At 4:12 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Christine!
Yes, that's my Frida Kahlo aka The Heidi of Switzerland headband. I try to look artsy when I go to art galleries!
I, too, am fond of the plein air style of painting. Ever been to the Lummis House in Highland Park?

 
At 5:21 PM PDT, Blogger Susan Wike said...

You know, Ellen, what I love about your blog is that I never know what I'll read. You give us such a wonderful variety to revel in and think about. I love it!!!

 
At 5:46 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Ah don' no nuthin bout no artsy-fartsy stuffs, but Ah noz what Ah likes, and me likee this "lo brow" stuff you speak of.

Me and Mr. Larry. We're like THIS {{gesturing from my eyes to his eyes}}

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery