Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Crocheted Beaded Belt

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ellen's Version of Ellene Warren's Crocheted Beaded Belt

Last year I was hangin' out at the Stitches From The Heart Store in Santa Monica and designer, Ellene Warren was there. She was showing a group of ladies some of her recent knit and crochet designs. Of course, her scarves, sweaters, jackets, shawls, handbags were absolutely gorgeous and inspired, but I was taken by the belt Ellene was wearing. She had crocheted it out of Koigu wool. There were the most beautiful murano glass millefiori beads woven into the belt.
Ellene told me that she would be writing up this pattern soon. I want to make a few of these gorgeous belts for holiday gifts this year. Well, I've been pestering her for months and she finally gave me a copy of the pattern on Friday. Ellene predicted that I would crochet the belt quickly over the weekend. She was correct! There's something about knitting and crocheting with Koigu variegated yarn that inspires completion of a project. I suppose it's the surprise of seeing how the gorgeous colors work up.
Ellene's kit and pattern for the Crocheted Beaded Belt has everything (except the Koigu) in it. The kit includes 4 metal rings, a bead threader, 6 Murano Glass Millefiori beads and contrast yarn. The instructions are easy to understand. I believe that as soon as Ellene's new website is up, she'll be selling the pattern online and at some local shops.
In my version of the belt, I opted to use Koigu for the entire belt, instead of a contrasting trim color. I also wanted to finish it quickly, so I didn't add beads to the fringe. Once you've completed this pattern, variations of Ellene's design will pop into your head for future belts.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
You can keep tabs on Ellene thru her blog. Comment often and bug her about that new website!!!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:53 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen,

The colors in your belt remind me of the Mosaic House you visited over the weekend!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 2:01 PM PDT, Blogger Yarnartist said...

Ellen,
I love your version of the belt! Isn't it funny that the idea never ocurred to me to use the Koigu for the outer edge? I like the knotted tie, too. Good job!

 
At 7:27 PM PDT, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

Ohhh, nice and I would make one for a handbag handle too.

 
At 10:44 PM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

Ellen, this belt is too foxy. Looks like crochet even I can do.

 
At 3:14 PM PST, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Cool belt! Nice use of Koigu.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery