Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Yarn-Nah. Food-Yeah.

Cheesecake and Carrot Cake @ Porto's in Burbank
The best laid plans......on Friday 12/29/07, I met Christine for breakfast at the House of Pies in Los Feliz. Christine had never been to The Little Knittery or to Black Sheep Knittery . We thought that the HOP would be a central place to meet. After a delicious breakfast (see photos), we walked around the corner to The Little Knittery. Alas! It was closed for the holidays! So, we drove over to Black Sheep on Yucca between Vine and Ivar. Alas! Also closed!!! What's the deal? Yeah, OK...shop owners need to take vacations too, but us yarn-a-holics need to knit and crochet while we're on vacation. After having recently purged my stash of crunchy acrylic, I was in the mood to purchase some natural fiber!

Christine w/Spinach, Eggs, etc.Ellen w/Omelette, etc.

Christine had the brilliant idea to zoom thru the Cahuenga pass to Burbank and visit Unwind on Hollywood Way. I've only been to this yarn shop a couple of times. We arrived in Burbank just before the shop was about to open. We had just enough time to walk up the street and visit the new Porto's Bakery!!


All I can say is WOW! I'd been to the original Porto's in Glendale which is a faboo French-style bakery, owned and operated by a Cuban family. The brand new Burbank location is 3 times the size of the Glendale shop. It's gorgeous inside, well-run and everything looks and tastes great! Christine graciously treated me to a Chai Latte and a flan. The place was packed, but we didn't have to wait very long for service. I LOVE this place and can't wait to take Mr. Larry there. Thanks, Christine.

Porto's on Hollywood Way & Magnolia, Burbank

Oh yeah, yarn.
We walked down to Unwind...looked at books, yarn and magazines. I still had visions of French pastry in my head. I couldn't concentrate on yarn. However, I did purchase the latest issue of Interweave Crochet. It's mildly inspiring. Maybe I should crochet up a few Porto's pastries!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 4:23 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I love Unwind because they have such a great variety there, and the proprietresses are so danged NICE. They were the first "yarn store" that were friendly and welcoming to me when I first started knitting. However, I never have quite made it to that little town square-y down the street. Looks like a good idea.

 
At 4:24 PM PST, Blogger Sara said...

I love Portos! Richard & I got our wedding cake there (at the Glendale location, obviously) -- 3 layers, alternating their Black Magic chocolate cake with their rum soaked Cuban cake. The memory is making my mouth water right now!

 
At 5:03 PM PST, Blogger Madge said...

Happy new year, Ellen!

I was underwhelmed with the latest IK, too. What do you think now that they're going quarterly?

And omg, those Porto's photos are making my mouth water. I read your blog and I get the nibbles....

 
At 8:01 PM PST, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Oh, Portos...How you mock my dieting attempts.

I LOVE Unwind though. I can't leave that place without spending at least $30(which is easy to do).

 
At 8:05 PM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

Unwind has, like, the best hours. Whenever I wind up there it's usually because they know when to be open. Very nice staff but for some reason I don't buy a lot of yarn when I go.

That cheescake looks scrumptious.

 
At 3:14 PM PST, Blogger WineGrrl said...

Are you and Christine related? You look like sisters in the pictures!

 
At 3:20 PM PST, Blogger christianne said...

Porto's is amazing! Since I work in the Valley, we get many of our office party cakes there. The mango cake is unbelieveable!

 
At 5:55 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hah! People think that Christine and I are related, but we're not. We just both have olive skin, wear glasses and have similar hairdos. We also think alike!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery