Thursday, February 12, 2009

Weekend Calendar

Just in case you didn't know, this Saturday is St. Valentine's Day. Yes, it's an over-publicized, commercial holiday. Instead of going with the crowd and spending tons of money on an expensive dinner, let's celebrate in our own cost-cutting way in the City of Los Angeles!
Absence makes the heart grow fonder, so on Saturday, I'll will be knitting with my girlfriends....without my true love, Mr. Larry. I'll be at the WeHo SnB Once-a-Month-Saturday Farmers Market meeting from 10am to noon, 3rd and Fairfax, upstairs dining area. At 3:30 I'll be at the Fairview Knitters group, 3:30-5:30, 21st & Ocean Park, Santa Monica. Finally, Larry and I will reunite for a nice bowl of soup in our romantic breakfast nook, at home. This will be a small repast to tide us over before we go out.
We've been invited to a Valentine's/House Warming party. Our long-time friend, Lucinda, has finally decided to plant roots in L.A., instead of Nashville or Austin. She's invited many of the roots-music community to her new house in celebration. It should be fun to see all of my ol' music friends. Larry is delighted that we're NOT going to an expensive, bad restaurant for V-Day!
There are tons of other options for this weekend. The Autry Museum in Griffith Park is having a workshop called, Let’s Make History at Griffith Park! Old-Fashioned Cross-Stitch Samplers,1–2:30 pm (free with museum admission). Celebrate Valentine's Day pioneer-style with a heart-shaped cross-stitch sampler to keep or give to your favorite Valentine. If I wasn't headed over to Santa Monica, I'd definitely check out that event. It sounds like great fiber fun!
The American Cinematheque is showing a few romantically themed movies this weekend, at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood and at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica.

Burt Lancaster & Deborah Kerr in "From Here to Eternity"
@ The Aero Theater


Many of us will be celebrating President's Day on Monday....three-day weekend! Woo Hoo! I am kinda' sad that they lumped Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays into one holiday. When I was a kid we used to get each of their birthdays off from school. Sigh. It's a free day for us. Not sure what we'll be doing. How 'bout you?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 12:47 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just listening to Lucinda this morning :)A housewarming party with her alt-country compatriots sounds fantastic - have fun!

 
At 12:53 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Dude - catholic school = both president's birthdays, every holy and holiday, AND every major saint's day off. So many days it even gave me pause. :)

Your v-day plans sound great. I hope the rain doesn't interfere too much!

 
At 1:39 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also the Alex theater in Glendale is showing the Philadelphia Story

 
At 3:23 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

We have no romantic plans for the weekend. :(

 
At 5:37 PM PST, Blogger Kath said...

I remember when Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays were celebrated separately and we had two holidays instead of one! My b-day is the same as Washington's so when I was a kid I always got that day off from school. Be nice to have that again!

 
At 7:13 PM PST, Blogger Sarah said...

How fun, I love Lucinda Williams!!

I found you on google by accident today! I was searching on Google Image for a picture I used to have on my computer desktop, and searched for something like "knitting girl vintage flickr,", and I got a picture from your blog of Larry in something you made. How funny!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery