Tuesday, March 03, 2009

March is National Crochet Month

Crocheted "Wave" Afghan

The Crochet Guild of America has declared March National Crochet Month. "Teach someone to crochet in March," suggests Crochet Guild President, Rita Weiss. "It is essential that we pass on the skill of crochet. What better way to empower a child or an adult than by giving them a crochet hook and ball of yarn? The skill of crochet will spark their imagination and bring lifelong enjoyment."

Two-Tone Crocheted Koigu Scarf

I must admit, I really like to crochet more than I like to knit. I've been knitting since I was 7 years old and crocheting since I was about 19. Each art has it's own best qualities for different projects and different materials. The speed of crochet, along with the easy design capability won me over long ago.

Crocheted Spa Cloths

During the month of March, I will be happy to show anyone how to crochet or help you brush-up on difficult crochet stitches if you show up at the West Hollywood Stitch 'n Bitch on Thursday nights at the Original Farmers Market. We meet from 7-9 in the upstairs dining area. Bring your hooks and some plain yarn to learn a skill that will give you a lifetime of enjoyment!

Crochet styles have changed over the years!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:00 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

This month is your time to shine! I might have to dust of a hook or two. There are a couple of patterns I want to try.

 
At 3:32 PM PST, Blogger Beth McDermott Oliver said...

Ellen is a fabulous crochet sensei!!!

 
At 7:41 PM PST, Blogger Sarah said...

Oo, I may need to try my hand - er, hook, at crocheting once more! I know a few basics, but haven't quite found my crochetin' groove yet.

 
At 1:22 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm new to crocheting and I love the Crocheted "Wave" Afghan! What stitch is it or is it from a pattern?

 
At 1:49 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Joanna,

The Long Wave Stitch is from a Harmony Guide Crochet Stitch book. Not sure which one.

Ellen B.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery