Friday, July 03, 2009

Vintage Photo Friday

California Incline, Santa Monica photo by Jack

It's 4th of July weekend. Summertime in Los Angeles. When I was a pre-teen I usually went to camp for a week or so during the summers. The rest of the time was spent in summer school, taking some sort of "fun" subject like sewing, art or tennis. My folks wouldn't let me go to the beach for an entire day. They MADE me go to summer school so that I'd only spend afternoons at the beach.
All of us kids would get on the Wilshire Blvd. bus and take it west to Santa Monica. Once we reached the end of Wilshire, we'd walk down the California Incline to Tee's Hamburger Shack where we congregated on the sand. This was just north of the Sand and Sea Club, which is now the Annenberg Community Beach House.
This property was originally Marion Davies' beach house, built for her by William Randolph Hearst.
Anyway, we'd fry ouselves in the sun, using baby oil as suntan lotion. We'd eat French fries, drink Cokes and watch the antics of the boys in our class as they tried to body surf. Most of the time we'd have to trudge back up the Incline and take the bus home. Sometimes one of our parents would pick us up for the ride home. There was a place on Pico Blvd. at the edge of Santa Monica and West L.A. called Herbie's. There was this sign on the building that said "Herbie's. Hot Nuts." Of course that sent us into hysterics. In addition to hot nuts, they served ice-cream. If we were lucky to get a ride from someone's mom, we'd beg to stop at Herbie's for a snack. Do any of you remember Herbie's? It was on the south side of the street. I'll have to drive slowly down Pico Blvd. and see if the building is still there.
When I couldn't get down to the beach I would walk over to my Aunt Celia's and Uncle Bob's house.They lived about two blocks away. Their house had the most beautiful swimming pool in their backyard. It was like a grotto. There were rocks and exotic plants surrounding the pool. I think there was a small waterfall too. I spent many hot summer days in that pool.
Ellen, 1964, Poolside in Beverly Hills
Have a wonderful 4th of July everyone!
More VPF here.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

At 3:46 PM PDT, Blogger susanc said...

What an adorable picture! Have a Happy Fourth of July.

 
At 4:39 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Ellen, you are cute as a button!

Summer school...bummer.
But it sounds like you made the most of every minute - as always.

 
At 5:23 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...the good ole days!

 
At 5:29 PM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

OMG! See, I love your dress. You're cute as a button indeed.

Your parents didn't want to you to be a beach bum, lol.

 
At 5:58 PM PDT, Blogger Beth said...

aaaahhhhh....Baby oil as sun tan lotion...those were the days....
Great pics Ellen!

 
At 6:22 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That photo is sooooo cute. Those were the days - long before we had ever heard of "SPF" and baby oil, or Hawaiian Tropic if you were fancy, was all you needed. Oh, and maybe an LP cover wrapped in aluminum foil to reflect the sun strategically.

 
At 12:26 PM PDT, Blogger bea's blog said...

Hei Ellen,
just had a look into your blog tonite ~ it is really special and intresting! I have never been to the westcoast, but what you write is ever so much of interest...
will follow further ~ definitely!
A nice pic of you, too.

By the way, the baby shorty is ready knitted and will get its frog king soon. Will have a photo out on Ravelry when all is completed. Enjoy!
Welcome to my blog at:
www.bea-nype.blogspot.com
❀–•–❀
European Greetings
Beatrice

 
At 1:41 PM PDT, Blogger Stephknits3 said...

You look so cute! Thanks for the kind comments on my blog "redesign". I took your earlier words to heart! <3

 
At 5:23 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading about you growing up in CA. And if I saw a sign that read, "Herbie's Hot Nuts" I would be pulling the car over in hysterics to get a photo! That sign probably sold on ebay for 977 bucks!
Cheers and Happy 4th,
Tracey

 
At 2:03 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

OK, Ellen I so remember Herbies (my fathers name too). I loved loved loved the fresh dipped chocolate covered bananas! They were awesome - just like the ones we used to get at the ferry in Balboa. I drive by there all the time and it is some sort of electrical supply place. I think back fondly on the carefree days and chocolate bananas.

My summers were so similar to yours. I am sure our paths crossed at some point .... yes that photo is adorable!

 
At 2:14 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thank you, Jo Anne for remembering Herbie's! I'm not crazy or senile! I've asked so many Westsiders of a "certain" age if they remembered Herbie's. I'll be cruisin' Pico Blvd. on my way home from work to see if I can spot the electrical supply place that used to house one of my fave haunts!

Again....thank you!

 
At 7:42 PM PDT, Blogger adubman said...

Ellen, I remember Herbie's Nut House. It was on the south side of Pico Blvd. just west of Gateway and east of Federal Avenue. And yes building is still there. It has a unique elevated flat top roof in the front.I remember all the huge containers (barrels? - maybe I don't remember so well!) of candy and the ice cream counter and the shop smelled of roasted nuts. I used to take the S.M. Blue Bus #7 down Pico to the beach and would go right by Herbie's. Such carefree days back then!

 
At 10:02 AM PDT, Blogger Mike said...

Ellen, I definitely remember "Herbie's Hot Nuts." My grandfather owner the liquor store right across the street, "Lighthouse Liquors." A major treat for us kids was dinner at Carrillo's Mexican Restaurant on Pico near 33rd and a visit to Herbie's!
Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery