Friday, August 14, 2009

Vintage Photo Friday

Continuing with my food-related theme of the week, I give you a few vintage photos found at the UCLA Digital Photol Archives.
Title: Alhambra council woman, Norma Yocum cooking at stove with daughter Phyllis, 1963. Published caption: HOME LIFE - Mrs. Norma Yocum, Alhambra councilwoman, shares kitchen chore with daughter Phyllis. Publication: Los Angeles Times Publication. Date: December 26, 1963.
I think Julia would approve of their kitchen togs, even though neither of them are wearing pearls! At least their using my beloved Corning Ware! Check out that crazy wallpaper.

Title: Dolores Drive-In on Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles, Calif., 1980. Publication: Los Angeles Times. Publication date: May 28, 1980

Dolores Drive-In on Wilshire @ LeDoux in Beverly Hills was my teenage hangout. I spent many fond hours gobbling down J.J.' s with extra Z-sauce; Suzy-Q fries and Cherry Lime Rickeys. Hey Larry, check out that Ford Falcon Ranchero! Looks like a 1964 to me. Today, you have to get your Jumbo Jim fix at West LA's Dolores.

Title: Ships Coffee shop and high rise building at corner of Glendon Ave. and Wilshire Blvd. in Westwood, Calif., 1984. Published caption: Coffee shop sign and the high-rise buildings that now dominate the Westwood scene. Publication: Los Angeles Times. Publication Date: September 21, 1984.

Ship's! Everyone remembers the toasters on all the tables. I remember the Mannings beef and the superior ice-cream sundaes. I know who nabbed the cool sign from this Ship's. Lucky guy!

More Vintage Photos here. Be sure to check in with "L.A. Is My Beat" everyday. We have an interesting yarny and artistic story developing.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 3:02 PM PDT, Blogger The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Great Photos Ellen...Can't wait to read more on the yarny artistic stuffles!!

I really have really enjoyed your food week!

Happy Weekend!
Beth in Austin

 
At 3:48 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

I remember those Suzy Q Fries and WHO can forget the toasters at the table???

Have a great weekend.

 
At 5:28 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Hmm. West LA's Dolores may have the same name (food, etc.), but it certainly doesn't have the same visage as old time BH Dolores! Man, that looks great.

Have a great weekend!

 
At 7:00 PM PDT, Blogger Jean said...

The vintage photo of the Mother & Daughter in the kitchen just made me have the giggles, I wonder what color that wallpaper was.

 
At 1:42 AM PDT, Blogger Lisa said...

Ellen, thanks for the Ships photo. It brought back a lot of memories. I went to UCLA in the late 70's. Every time my mother would come over to visit, we'd go to Ships and have toast!

 
At 5:26 AM PDT, Blogger Allison said...

Ellen, I just want to tell you how much I enjoy your blog, even as an LA ex-pat. It's so positive and interesting! I don't know how you know about all this cool stuff, but I'm glad you share it with us!

Allison

 
At 9:06 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my brother has a '64 Ford Falcon Ranchero that he's in the process of restoring. Love the old cars!!!

 
At 1:02 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ships was a great hangout during my art school days. I remember the toasters that would shoot bread across the room almost - don't think they were supposed to work that way. Quite a few sleep deprived late nights, shooting toast at my studio-partner. Oh my, memory-lane time

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery