Tuesday, September 07, 2010

This is getting serious

Vintage Potholder Patterns dated 1955 and 1953

Last week Larry came home from an estate sale with a stack of vintage knit and crochet magazines. They were beautifully organized and in excellent condition. Some of them dated from the late 1940's; most of them were from the 1960's. I couldn't resist looking through the potholder pamphlets first. Both are from the 1950's. I didn't actually crochet any patterns from these books this weekend, but I was inspired to make potholders, potholders and more potholders!!! My potholder addiction is getting serious.I've been obsessed with trying out Maryse's pattern for the Modern Vintage Potholder. I just love how the little holes in the pattern remind me of the spokes of a wagon wheel. Maryse is the organizer of the Potholder Swap on Ravelry. She's an amazing designer too. Maryse adapted this pattern from a vintage potholder she found at a flea market. I modified the pattern just a tad to suit my own crochet needs. It's a fast one to work up and I love it. I'll be making more of these!
I also worked up one of my flower potholders as a gift for a friend. Why is it people want to put my potholders and doilies on their heads and wear them around as hats?!?!I used Reynolds Saucy 100% Mercerized Cotton for all of the potholders, size "C" crochet hook. As you can see, it was a craftastic 3-day weekend!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 4:40 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

I knit one row of about 25 stitches over the weekend....not quite the bevy of beautiful potholders that you made. You are such the energizer bunny rabbit!!

 
At 5:26 AM PDT, Anonymous maryse said...

awesome! i love your versions!

 
At 8:56 AM PDT, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

Of course I LOVE the bananas!

 
At 6:05 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

The head is the most logical place to put a potholder. You want I should put it on my toukis?! (my poor version of a Yiddish accent in honor of the holiday!)

 
At 11:18 AM PDT, Blogger ChelleC said...

Okay now I want to make potholders again. Thank you very much, first you got me addicted to Granny Squares and now potholders?

What flower potholder recipe do you have?

Happy New Year. May it be sweet at the honey you dip your apple into

 
At 11:35 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Chelle! thanks for the compliments and good wishes.
I like Maggie Weldon's flower potholders. You can see one here:
http://www.maggiescrochet.com/free-grape-cluster-potholder-pattern-p-1072.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery