Friday, December 03, 2010

Vintage Photo Friday

Frouma, Zelek, Roz, Freda, Sam, Mae Katz, Los Angeles around 1924

Whoa! Talk about a bonanza of vintage photographs! My Auntie Mae recently entrusted me with the family photo album! I've been scanning all week.
Here's the back story: A few weeks ago a long, lost second or third (or once or twice removed..whatever) cousin of mine contacted me through my blog. His name is Jason. He is the son of one of my Mom's first cousins, Zander, who passed away while Jason was young. Hence, Jason didn't know all that much about the Katz side of his family. Jason and his wife just had a baby daughter and Jason really wanted to find out more about his family for his daughter's legacy.

I tried to fill him in on his Los Angeles family tree. I quizzed Mom and Auntie Mae at Thanksgiving about the rest of the relatives, including the New Orleans branch. We extracted a few names. The photos jogged everyone's memories. I asked Mom what her Katz grandparents' names were. There were lots of photos of them in the album. My Mom looked puzzled and then answered, "Bubbe and Zayde." Oy!! That's the Yiddish names for Grandma and Grandpa! Through much research, many e-mails and phone calls, Jason has extracted tons of info about our family. He's working on the family tree now! I have re-named Jason, Sherlock Katz! The photo above are my Great Grandparents, Frouma and Zelek Katz, along with my Mom, grandparents and Auntie Mae, in front of their house in the West Adams district of Los Angeles.

Frouma and Zelek Katz

Between us, Jason and I have been scouring the internet, Facebook, ZabaSearch and more for clues as to the whereabouts and history of our extended family. Jason has been working on this project waaaay more than I have. This is an exciting journey. I'm so glad that Jason contacted me!

Zayde and Bubbe

Have a wonderful weekend....Happy Chanukah and good luck with all of your pre-Christmas planning and shopping!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 3:22 PM PST, Anonymous Carol said...

If Roz and Zander were 1st cousins, then you and Jason are 2nd cousins. You and Jason's baby daughter are 2nd cousin's once removed. Jason and your mom are 1st cousins once removed.

Now you'll have to develop an Ancestry.com habit.

 
At 3:28 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks so much for the cousin low-down, Carol!!! I always like having category names for everything!

 
At 4:42 PM PST, Blogger Neil said...

Happy Hanukkah. Great photos.

 
At 4:54 PM PST, Blogger Susan Wike said...

Love your pictures!

 
At 5:43 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pix. I was happy to see in our family on my mother's side an aunt's grandson was able to trace with the help of his grandmother, the line back to 1850 in Poland with names.

Sorry for the anon, can't figure out how to get name up there....Allan

 
At 7:55 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Oh, I love that your cousin found you. The photos are great. What a treat to find out more about your family.

 
At 7:56 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so wonderful that you have the album, and that your cousin found you through the magic of the interwebs.

Your mom really thought their names were Bubbe and Zayde? That's so, so sweet :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery