Monday, February 06, 2012

L.A. County Museum of Art


On Saturday Larry and I visited LACMA for the current exhibition: In Wonderland: the Surrealist Adventures of Women Artists in Mexico and the United States. Artists represented include Louise Bourgeois, Leonora Carrington, Frida Kahlo, Lee Miller, Kay Sage, Dorothea Tanning, Remedios Varo, Maya Deren, Helen Lundeberg, MarĂ­a Izquierdo, Jacqueline Lamba, and Janet Sobel. I was familiar with a few of these artists, but was delighted by the ones I had not encountered before.

"Mimesis" by Remedios Varo
a passive woman becomes the furniture!

"Family Portrait" by Dorothea Tanning
So, who's the most important person in this family?

I must go back and see this exhibit again. There was just too much to digest in all one viewing. This would make an excellent ladies' field trip!

Louise Nevelson Wooden Sculpture


The next exhibit we saw was Metropolis II by Chris Burden. We were lucky enough to catch Metropolis while the cars were in motion. Wow! What a racket this thing makes!

Metropolis II by Chris Burden

All of the construction inside the tracks is amazing. Kids and adults alike were enthralled by this fantastic moving sculpture. Chris Burden is the creator of Urban Light, the iconic installation of city street lights in front of LACMA on Wilshire Boulevard.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:50 PM PST, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

That Metropolis looks quite interesting. I love the light sculpture on Wilshire. There are several exhibits I want to see at LACMA! Must make the time to go before they are gone.

 
At 11:08 AM PST, Blogger blandina said...

I am unable to come to LA in this period and much to my disappointment I am going to lose the Surrealist Women's exhibition. Thank you for the reportage, I love looking at the photos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery