Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Honolulu Shawlette

Modified "Klamath" Shawlette

Before we left on our Hawaiian vacation, I looked through my patterns and my yarn stash to find an appropriate project to take on our trip. I didn't want to take anything too large or with too many different yarns involved. I tried to find an easy pattern, but not too boring. I remembered that our Knitting Guild, The Slipt Stitchers of El Segundo was conducting a Crochet-A-Long and a Knit-A-Long. The crochet pattern is "Klamath." The corresponding knit pattern is "Multnomah." Both are triangular shawls with a feather and fan border. Perfect!
I wound up my beautiful skein of SweetGeorgia Yarns Merino Silk and Lace in a rich aqua and green combo and stuffed it into my bag, along with my crochet hooks.


The first part of this shawl is very easy, rather mindless. I added a filet crochet row every fifth row to keep it interesting. When I arrived at the feather and fan border portion of the pattern, I must have been so relaxed that I read the directions incorrectly. I forgot to crochet the decreases every third row to create more of an zig-zag border. Oh well. I had just enough yarn left to crochet a simple single crochet edge and add a fleur-de-lis picot at the tip of each feather. It blocked out beautifully. Everytime I throw this shawlette over my shoulders I will remember our wonderful 20th anniversary celebration trip to Hawaii. Aloha.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 2:40 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Beautiful!

 
At 2:43 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks, Gale. Even though I messed up the pattern, the yarn is so gorgeous that it looks OK! Phew!

 
At 4:28 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

So pretty and the perfect Hawaiian Blue.

 
At 11:04 PM PDT, Blogger Renee said...

How does it go? Something like, as long as you're consistent, it doesn't matter if it's a boo-boo. I don't know, something like that.

It's gorgeous!

Renee :)

 
At 7:14 PM PDT, Anonymous Heather said...

I love happy accidents. Can you tell me how to create a fleur-de-lis picot stitch or where to find instructions?

 
At 11:15 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

I sent you an e-mail, Heather, but just in case, here's how you crochet a Fleur de Lis Picot:

In the same space, Ch 3, slip stitch into same stitch. Ch 6, slipt stitch into same stitch. Ch 3, slip stitch into same stitch. Continue with your single crochets along an edge until you want another Picot.

Essentially, this is 3 loops into one stitch. The first and last loops are chain 3. The middle loop is a chain 6.

Best of luck with your crochet projects!

Ellen B.
"L.A. Is My Beat"

 
At 2:38 PM PDT, Blogger Evelyn said...

This pattern has been on my queue for ages! Yours turned out beautifully. Aloha!

 
At 9:41 AM PDT, Blogger Misty said...

Wow, beautiful! I really like the rows of filet you added and the fleur de lis picot--I've never heard of it before. I have been wanting to crochet another shawl for a while now, maybe this should be it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery