Friday, September 30, 2005

Knit Portraits

Yesterday, Mr. Larry attended an estate sale in Silverlake. Since I was slaving away at the office, he checked out all of the vintage stuff for both of us. Larry likes to collect old carpentry tools, records, cameras, slides. I like vintage costume jewelry, scarves, purses, kitchen items and anything having to do with knitting and crochet. Larry came across a cache of vintage knitting and crochet magazines from the 1940's! What a doll! He bought them for me! I don't know if I'll ever actually make anything from these magazines, but I'm learning a lot just from looking at the photography. All of the models and their yarn goods were lit beautifully and very professionally photographed. You can see every stitch and detail of the finished item. I wish some of today's magazines were so beautifully executed.
Stayed tuned next week for my pictures of the L.A. Conservancy's tour "Curating Wilshire Boulevard." This is going to be an incredible tour! I'm most excited about the Modern Committee's docent stop at Johnie's Coffee Shop on Wilshire and Fairfax. This is the one site on the tour that focuses on post-WW II architecture. It's really going to be special. Have a great weekend everyone!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:00 PM PDT, Blogger Julie said...

I am so TOTALLY jealous. Fantastic finds. Mr. Larry gets a big cookie for a job well done.

 
At 9:40 AM PDT, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

That rocks Ellen! I collect those old books and mags too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery