Monday, October 29, 2007

Seen @ the Mall

On Saturday I was at the Century City Mall. WOW! I hadn't been here in awhile and I hardly recognized the place. There are so many new stores, new levels and new restaurants! You have to understand, this Mall grew out of the backlot of 20th Century Fox Studios in the mid-1960's. I lived about 4 blocks away. One of our fun things to do as kids was to ride our bikes around the perimeter of the new shopping center and see if we could get into the construction site. I also went to high school next door. We would often drop over to the Mall after school to check out the new fashions at Judy's or Joseph Magnin's. Years later, I worked at 20th Century Fox Studios and would go to the Mall at lunchtime for shopping. Needless to say, but I knew this Mall better than my own house! How things have changed. Not that this is a bad thing, just confusing for an old timer, like me.
On Saturday, I must admit, I was lost half of the time and couldn't quite figure out where certain stores were located. Eventually, I made my way into Macy's. Just inside the door there was a large display of hats, gloves, mittens and scarves. All were machine made, but resembled handmade knits.
Check out the competition below, my fellow knitsters and crocheters!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 1:57 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen....what's the cost of these items? They look pretty good to me.

 
At 1:58 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi,

Most of the scarves are in the $30 + range. The prices go up to about $60. If you use the yarn in your stash, you can make ALL of these pieces for a fraction of the cost.

 
At 2:55 PM PDT, Blogger Jenn said...

Hmm. That is a lot of money to look like everyone else. What I love about the hand knit is even when people make the same pattern, it's always different. I don't do very well at malls anymore.

 
At 3:03 PM PDT, Blogger mehitabel said...

I wonder if those are machine made--or made by industrious hands in some country where they were paid $1/apiece for them? I know about knitting machines, but I've never heard of one that crochets! In any case, we who can make our own are going to be warm and trendy this winter!

 
At 3:53 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear lord, I have to drag out the granny squares again! I've made two scarves already for my daughter...but I think I need to try a new rounder motif.

I agree with Mehitabel, I think that there is no such thing as a crochet machine. Yikes, could there be lead in these yarny creations?

 
At 5:50 AM PDT, Blogger BellaKarma said...

Thanks for providing the "Judy" link! I shopped at one of the boutiques for years...completely unaware of the women behind it! I'll need to get my hands on that book. :)

 
At 12:07 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Don't you love how crochet is now mainstream again? I'm a little torn with the handmade = unique vs. buy it in a store = ubiquitous part of it, but overall I think I'm happy with it being trendy. The more granny squares the better, I say! And now people who don't have crafty friends can wear them, too. That's cool.

 
At 7:41 PM PDT, Blogger Amy O'Neill Houck said...

Unfortunately for the poor souls who made them for pennies, there is no machine to crochet. It always makes me said to see crochet in a mass market setting because someone had to make it! But it is cool that it is seen as so fashionable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery