Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Vera Neumann

Ellen's and Roz's Vera Scarf Collection

Most of my friends are reading best sellers this summer...novels, biographies, thrillers, etc. In my free time, I'm always knitting or crocheting. I know I could be listening to recorded books on the iPod while I'm being yarny. I just have a difficult time concentrating on both at the same time. I used to be a voracious reader. Now I'm a voracious yarn-a-holic!
HOWEVER, I do like to read books about design and my favorite crafts. I recently acquired the biography of Vera Neumann, with lots and lots of photos of her designs. I absolutely LOVE Vera's designs. Her scarves were always affordable on my meager allowance as a teen. I checked my scarf drawer, along with my Mom's, and pulled out our Vera collection from the '60's. Together, we own seven Vera scarves. I NEED MORE!!! Whenever I'm at an estate sale, I look for Vera-designed items.
Vera was commissioned to design for the dining room and kitchen, for the New York World's Fair, for dress designers, china makers and more. I've heard that Anthropologie and Macy's are carrying some Vera re-issues. You know where I'll be this weekend!

Vera's Very Popular Poppy Design on Placemats and DishesScarves commemorating the 1964 New York World's Fair
Vera Neumann, I heart you!

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 5:59 PM PDT, Blogger Jean said...

I was reading your previous post about changes in your neighbourhood, well I grew up in Orange County and there is constant change. The dairies are all gone (I don't miss them, they were smelly and the horse flies were terrible), then there were the lovely strawberry fields, now its all the latest little strip malls which are constantly changing, all the old mom and pop stores are gone. At least LA has kept some of it's history.

 
At 8:49 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

I so remember Vera scarves ... good to see you last week. Hope to make it back soon!!

 
At 5:35 AM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Love the commemorative scarves, actually, all of these look pretty wonderful.

 
At 4:23 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Am With You! I have always loved Vera's work and I did some research on her a few years ago. I have a beautiful '50s Vera scarf. Can't wait to see that book.

 
At 3:58 PM PDT, Blogger Brenda said...

Another Vera fan. I still have a set of placemats by Vera that we bought when were first married, over 30 years ago! I was going to cut them up to make sock blockers, but hubby wouldn't let me. He still likes them too much :-)

 
At 4:35 PM PDT, Blogger SBMB said...

Do you know of any LA thrift stores or vintage stores where one might find some vintage Vera dishes? I know there's no guarantee, but I'm wondering if you know of stores that >might< carry such things.

 
At 4:54 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Sorry, Mr. Reality. I'm really not up on local thrift shops. It's usually a gamble as to what they have. I often haunt local yard sales. I do believe that Anthropologie stores are re-issuing Vera product. check updates here:http://theveracompany.tumblr.com/

 
At 6:58 PM PST, Anonymous Tiffany Salyards said...

Greetings to all of you Vera Neumann lovers. I would like to introduce myself to the group and beyond. And before I start I just want you all to know that this is very real, not some robot.
I don’t want to take up everyone’s time with the full story, you can contact me personally to get the historical breakdown.
Soooo…. Where to begin. In the late 1990’s early 2000’s my mother acquired the Vera Neumann collection. She , Susan Seid is the author of the book displayed on your webpage. Through the years we, my family and I have painstakingly brought the Vera collection back together, complete with cross country road trips and endless days rescuing original artwork, scarves, vintage clothing and home goods both new and vintage from all parts of the country. She, Vera, is alive and being restored and cared for just outside of Austin , Tx. We are in the process of original art restoration, posters and textiles. The scarf inventory is a feast for the eyes spanning many decades from hand rolled Japanese silk, Vinyl, acetates and a host of other mediums. Our current inventory of original art, which you know became the muse for her scarves and home goods, some of the Jamaican dishwear line will be posted on our website for purchase.
I would really like to connect with people who have a true passion for her incredible work and hopefully breathe a bit of new life into something that is irreplaceable.
So in closing if anyone is interested in speaking with me with questions, add to their collection or are in contact with others please feel free to reach out.
I love your site and the passion behind it! I’m not going to let Vera down. Blessings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery