Friday, November 19, 2010

Vintage Photo Friday

Ken, Ellen and Roz Bloom

I was just a few months old when this photo was taken by my Dad. We are standing in front of our house that Dad designed on Castle Heights Avenue in the Beverlywood section of Los Angeles. The homes in the area where we lived were built mostly after World War II. They were modified ranch-style tract homes. My Dad bought the lot where our home was built and designed an entirely different style of house. As you can see by the photo below, the garage was on the first level and the rest of the house was upstairs. The backyard was a hillside and my Dad, being a student of modern architecture, decided to build a home into the environment. I was only two years old when we moved from Castle Heights Avenue, but I drive by the home often. It's still there....looking modern and classy!

2116 Castle Heights Avenue, Los Angeles

Pudgy Baby!

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 12:58 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Why did you parents move from that fabulous house that your dad designed?

 
At 9:48 AM PST, Blogger LadyEEKnits said...

Ellen,
Love the nostaglic pictures, looks as if we grew up about the same time. Miss those California houses, back east now and really feel most of the houses are ungodly big. I grew up in Manhattan Beach 50/60's, my husband family had a house with all the living spaces on the second floor, they were close to the beach so they had lovely sunsets every night.

 
At 5:02 PM PST, Anonymous Patricia said...

I have friends in Palms, so I often drive from Pico through Beverlywood and Castle Heights to get there. I love those neighborhoods. The houses are so lovely and the area has a "cozy" feel! When people (outsiders) complain about Los Angeles and say the city is a "bad" place to live, I always want to mention Beverlywood and Castle Heights! It's also a convenient westside location, being near Pico. I'll bet you enjoyed growing up there. What high school did you go to?

 
At 10:34 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just re-read your post and see you only lived there until age 2. What a beautiful neighborhood it is! Next time I drive down Castle Heights Ave. I'll look for the house.

 
At 6:14 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Patricia, Yes, we moved from Beverlywood when I was 2 years old. We only moved about 1/2 mile north to So. Bedford Dr., near Roxbury Park....also a great and convenient neighborhood! I went to Beverly Hills H.S.

 
At 6:18 PM PST, Blogger Jean said...

Wonderful home, to live in a home that your father actually designed - Wow! I really like your vintage photo Fridays. Also the sweater you're knitting for Larry looks great.

 
At 9:47 AM PST, Anonymous Patricia said...

I was at the Beverlywood Bakery on Pico yesterday afternoon. Bought a brownie for $1.50---it was delicious! I love that neighborhood.

 
At 11:30 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

I was born in 1952 and first lived on Cresenct Drive in B.H. In fact, your Aug. 2010 photo of the apt. bldg. on Crescent MAY have been built on or near the site of the small house built in the '20s we rented on that street. The house WAS torn down to make room for a multi-family dwelling. We moved to Beverlywood in 1955 and I lived there, on Bolton Rd., until I entered college in 1970. Very well do I remember the house at 2116 C.H.! I now live in North Carolina.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery