Wednesday, February 09, 2011

After 'While, Crocodile

The answer to "See ya later, alligator." is "After ' while, crocodile!"
Made famous in the song by Bill Haley and Comets, 1956.
I just learned this stitch yesterday and I can't stop singing Bill Haley's song while I'm crocheting. It's a mesmerizing stitch pattern. There have been a rash of new projects posted to Ravelry using this crocodile stitch. I searched online for a good tutorial and found one here.
My first attempt was with some old Super Yarn Mart acrylic in a lovely light brick color. I thought I'd fashion a buttoned ear-warmer/headband.
After crocheting the headband for a bit, I suddenly thought of the color possibilities using any Noro self-striping yarn. I happened to have a skein of Noro Silk Garden sock yarn in the yarn locker, so I gave it a try. Wow! Love it! This may end up being a small purse.
This pattern is a major yarn-eater,and creates a heavy fabric, so keep that in mind when you're fashioning your next crocodile project!Later 'gator!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 3:16 PM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

The Noro idea is inspired! What gorgeous, gorgeous fabric. Looking forward to the finished project.

 
At 3:21 PM PST, Blogger Sarah said...

Wow - what a cute clutch that noro sample would be!

 
At 3:38 PM PST, Blogger betty said...

Nice stitch pattern. I have to check it out. I wonder if it can be used to make some crocheted flowers, since they look like petals

 
At 3:41 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Betty,
Yes, a similar method is found in crocheting petals and leaves!

 
At 3:43 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

This is an awesome stitch. I noticed you queued it on Ravelry. I think I have something queued too. The Noro is lovely. Can't wait to check it out.

 
At 8:16 PM PST, Anonymous Twilight said...

That looks fabulous in Noro! Can't wait to see what you make.

 
At 7:54 AM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Very cool, I love the way the Noro colors are settling in. Definitely will be a fabulous purse/handbag. Have you abandoned the earwarmer idea? It'd be cute too.

Oh, and I see a birdhat possibility, for sure

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery