
The answer to "See ya later, alligator." is "After ' while, crocodile!"
Made famous in the song by Bill Haley and Comets, 1956.
I just learned this stitch yesterday and I can't stop singing Bill Haley's song while I'm crocheting. It's a mesmerizing stitch pattern. There have been a rash of new projects posted to Ravelry using this crocodile stitch. I searched online for a good tutorial and found one here.
My first attempt was with some old Super Yarn Mart acrylic in a lovely light brick color. I thought I'd fashion a buttoned ear-warmer/headband.
After crocheting the headband for a bit, I suddenly thought of the color possibilities using any Noro self-striping yarn. I happened to have a skein of Noro Silk Garden sock yarn in the yarn locker, so I gave it a try. Wow! Love it! This may end up being a small purse.
This pattern is a major yarn-eater,and creates a heavy fabric, so keep that in mind when you're fashioning your next crocodile project!
Later 'gator!
Made famous in the song by Bill Haley and Comets, 1956.
I just learned this stitch yesterday and I can't stop singing Bill Haley's song while I'm crocheting. It's a mesmerizing stitch pattern. There have been a rash of new projects posted to Ravelry using this crocodile stitch. I searched online for a good tutorial and found one here.
My first attempt was with some old Super Yarn Mart acrylic in a lovely light brick color. I thought I'd fashion a buttoned ear-warmer/headband.
After crocheting the headband for a bit, I suddenly thought of the color possibilities using any Noro self-striping yarn. I happened to have a skein of Noro Silk Garden sock yarn in the yarn locker, so I gave it a try. Wow! Love it! This may end up being a small purse.

This pattern is a major yarn-eater,and creates a heavy fabric, so keep that in mind when you're fashioning your next crocodile project!
Later 'gator!
The Noro idea is inspired! What gorgeous, gorgeous fabric. Looking forward to the finished project.
ReplyDeleteWow - what a cute clutch that noro sample would be!
ReplyDeleteNice stitch pattern. I have to check it out. I wonder if it can be used to make some crocheted flowers, since they look like petals
ReplyDeleteHi Betty,
ReplyDeleteYes, a similar method is found in crocheting petals and leaves!
This is an awesome stitch. I noticed you queued it on Ravelry. I think I have something queued too. The Noro is lovely. Can't wait to check it out.
ReplyDeleteThat looks fabulous in Noro! Can't wait to see what you make.
ReplyDeleteVery cool, I love the way the Noro colors are settling in. Definitely will be a fabulous purse/handbag. Have you abandoned the earwarmer idea? It'd be cute too.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I see a birdhat possibility, for sure