Monday, February 28, 2011

Estate Sale

The Wilson's House, 623 North Palm Drive, Beverly Hills

On Saturday I stopped by a very nice estate sale in Beverly Hills. It was about 1-1/2 blocks away from our house during my junior high years. It's always very nostalgic visiting the ol' hood. Many of my friends still live close by.
This house was on Palm Drive. I didn't recognize the name of the family. It was a lovely Spanish Revival, Mediterranean style two-story home with a pool. The walls in the dining room, butler's pantry and kitchen were wrapped and upholstered in a garden style green and white trellis-like print, reminiscent of the 1970's. Very faaaaancy for it's day! There were many architectural features common to higher-end homes of this style, like a telephone nook, good-size maid's room with bath, powder room, step-down living room with a vaulted ceiling and exposed beams. Even the closets in the master bedroom were fairly good sized for house built in the 1930's. It's a large lot, The pool is like a postage stamp in the backyard, even though it's a fairly big swimming pool. What a perfect house for entertaining!
On Saturday the house was packed. Larry and I went back Sunday afternoon and the place was almost empty! There were some lovely paintings and lots of gorgeous china and crystal, tons of books and records too.
Vintage-Crazed Customers

I picked up a few treasures. A beautiful lunch tablecloth, a pristine hankie, a dark green Haeger USA Pottery bowl and a few books. My brother just loves Leo Rosten's books. I'll save that one for his birthday. I have the LACMA book on mid-century architecture, but this is a pristine copy and will make an excellent gift. The prize: The Girl Scout's Handbook from 1963!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:01 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up on north Hillcrest. Our house must have been built by the same builder. It had the same custom faux tile floor, stained glass and iron work in the entry. Thanks.

 
At 3:01 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

I grew up on North Hillcrest, Anonymous! Who are you? We may have been neighbors!!

 
At 7:34 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Looks like you scored some very nice things. I love the tablecloth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery