Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Show Is Over

The Original Hot Dog Show.
Scene from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"
(1956)

Sunday was the last day of operation for Papoo's Hot Dog Show on Riverside Drive in Toluca Lake. The original stand, simply called the Hot Dog Show was expanded in later years to accommodate inside dining. The place has been operating since 1949. I must confess that since I grew up on the other side of the hill, I'd only been to this establishment a few times. I used to work at Disney, late '80's, early '90's. We would stop here for lunch once in awhile.


There was another Hot Dog Show on that triangular bit of land at San Vicente, La Cienega and Burton Way, near Carthay Circle when I was a kid. It later became The Gingham Dog and then a FatBurger franchise. I believe that there were other Hot Dog Shows across the City too. Papoo's was the last hold-out of this mini-chain.


Larry and I drove to the Hot Dog Show on Saturday to take a few photos. A beautifully restored Bob's Big Boy hamburger restaurant stands across the street, with a huge "Bob" statue grinning at the now closed Papoo's.


I have heard that the building for Papoo's is going to become another restaurant. I'm sure all of the dog signage will be taken down. I do hope that the angel dog and the other signs show up in a roadside museum nearby. Sigh.

Photo by Naomi Alper

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 12:53 PM PDT, Blogger No Excuses said...

I loved the Hot Dog Show! So sad to see it go. Best sweet potato fries in town!

 
At 8:14 AM PDT, Anonymous Jo said...

As the "mom" of two cuter than cute wieners, I fell in love with that sign. I join you in hoping it will be preserved somewhere. Jo

 
At 8:23 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a Hot Dog Show in Pacific Palisades, until some time in the 70s. It had a running train inside.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=53088082222&v=photos

 
At 10:54 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

So sad. I never ate there, but I love the look and the sign is priceless. I think I need it for the hill in my backyard. Give the teepee a run for it's money.

 
At 4:33 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Fatburger at La Cienega and San Vincente was not a franchisee. It pre-dated the franchising of FB.

 
At 7:16 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Dear Anonymous, thanks for the info. By the way, the correct spelling is San Vicente. One "n", not 2.

 
At 9:23 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

My parents owned The Hot Dog Show in The Palisades from 1969 to 1979. They also owned the one in Toluca Lake for about a year. They had an offer in 1979 from Bank of America to sell the Palisades location for the land. It was demolished, but gave my parents a chance to retire early and travel the world:)

 
At 1:02 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

Tell me how your parents got such a delicious flavor in their cheese burgers. What seasoning did they use. Was it a fire fueled stove. I’ve tried every way to get that flavor. I’d appreciate it if you could send this info to me at steinaldo1@aol.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery