Thursday, September 01, 2011

Yes, I'm Addicted


Most of you know my love for Trader Joe's Grocery Stores. There are several of them in Los Angeles and throughout the Southland, they carry fascinating items, their prices are excellent and the sales staff are nice. Cookbooks using TJ's items have been published for the past few years. None of these books are associated with the stores, but I'm sure T.J.'s is happy to have their products promoted.
For the past two years I have been trying recipes from the "I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook" and "Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's." Both are excellent. I've added many of these recipes to my regular cooking rotation. The other night I made Sweet-Glazed Salmon with Corn Salsa. My sweet glaze burned a bit, but it was still delicious.I started cooking, alongside Mom when I was a kid. In those days, canned goods were the miracle ingredients. Most dishes involved Campbell's cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, frozen vegetables and Accent flavor enhancer. Most of these ingredients were full of MSG, but using them made dinners quick to prepare for my busy Mom. Thinking back on this, I can't quite figure out what Mom was so busy with. I guess tennis, bridge and carpools are all-encompassing!
After college and during my first marriage, I expanded my cooking skills. It was the days of the Silver Palate Gourmet Cookbook, Renny Darling and a gourmet explosion of celebrity chefs in Los Angeles. Everyone was using fresh ingredients and really paying attention to our diets. Gone were the days of heavy, European sauces, beef and lots of salt. I was even in a gourmet group. We called ourselves The Gourmettes. Each month one of us would host a dinner for the others, using new recipes. This was an excellent training ground.
So, today, I like the ease of the methods my Mom used in cooking, but with fresher, healthier ingredients. Trader Joe's fits the bill.
I recently purchased three new T.J.'s cookbooks, "The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook, "The I Love Trader Joe's College Cookbook" and "Cooking with Trader Joe's, Pack a Lunch." All are excellent, but the Party and College cookbooks are standouts.
Check out some of these quick recipe ideas:
Oooo....Larry is going to have some spectacular new meals this holiday weekend! Take me away, Trader Joe!
(Hey Joe! Where's my kickback?)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:24 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

I commented on FB but will comment here as well! I have one of these cookbooks (have had it for over a year) and have yet to make anything! I don't cook much though. The salmon looks quite good. Enjoy your long weekend and hope I will make it to Fairview soon (and possibly finish the last sleeve on the sweater I have been knitting the entire past year).

 
At 4:55 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo Morgan said...

I get so jealous when I see anything Trader Joe--we don't have them in the Denver area because they won't go into a market which doesn't allow the sale of wine in grocery stores. Jo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery