Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Oilcloth Extravaganza


On Sunday, the wholesale facility of Oilcloth International in Highland Park held their sale to the public. This is a lovely gesture from O.I. to their local friends and neighbors. The prices are great and the variety of designs is greater than you'll see at your local fabric shop.

I just LOVE oilcoth! I have several pieces that I use for festive tablecloths, many totebags, mini clutchbags, lampshades, etc. from this colorful and practical product. In addition to other obsessions, I am an oilcloth junkie.


In past years, the O.I. sale has been held on a Saturday morning. There have been many frenzied shopping and hoarding vultures present at these sales. This year, the sale was held later on a Sunday afternoon and there were RULES. No hoarding and then editing your purchases; give everyone a chance at the merchandise; no early sales.

This year's group was VERY well-behaved. It seems that the pushy shopping ladies from a town that will not be mentioned were not in attendance. The variety of articles made from oilcloth was not as varied this year, but there were lots of remants available. I managed to pick up a few small tote bags for gifts and a nice piece of hot pinky oilcloth to use as a table-topper or to make into something spectacular!


Thank you, Cardi and Oilcloth International for opening your doors to us again this year!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 3:21 PM PDT, Blogger Sharon Marie said...

I haven't seen or heard of oil cloth since I was in elementary school (60s) and we had to use a piece on our desks during art class to keep the desk clean.

 
At 12:23 PM PDT, Anonymous Suze said...

Drat, I was out of town and missed it. I probably would have been dazzled by all the colors and choices, anyway.

 
At 3:36 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post was very interesting. I haven't really sewn in 40 years until a year ago January, when I decided I would love to quilt.
In the midst of reading about quilting, I saw an article about oil cloth lunch sacks and little roll up items for kids to use chalk on the black oil cloth. I had never heard of it until then, but have wanted to try sewing a few projects with it.
Is it usually pricey?

 
At 7:28 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Shelley!
No, oilcloth isn't expensive. Most yardage stores carry a few different patterns. The Oilcloth International website has a list of stores throughout the country that carry it. HOWEVER, I would check with someone about changing the needle on your sewing machine before you start sewing. Oilcloth is thick!

 
At 10:35 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Ellen for answering my question. I am glad you mentioned the needle. I wouldn't have thought of it.
Thank you so much for visiting my blog, too!
We have had a sick kind of week in our house, so it isn't exactly an exciting batch of posts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery