Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Color Blocks

Painting by Piet Mondrian

I've been crocheting granny squares for decades. There is nothing so pleasing to me as a finished square that lines up perfectly in a pretty yarn. The beauty of the block and the power of the grid are endlessly gratifying to me. The grid painting in modern art is inspirational. Check the dictionary, and definitions skew utilitarian.  Merriam-Webster offers that "grid" is simply  "a network of uniformly spaced horizontal and perpendicular lines (as for locating points on a map). The grid is a pre-determined, ordering structure which artists can choose to either follow or disrupt." In crochet, I follow the grid, only disrupting as to size of square.
"Babette" Granny Square Afghan. My interpretation of DISTRUPTING THE GRID

I've crocheted so many granny/grid pieces...scarves, cowls and blankets. Behold, below:






As a respite from some larger projects that I'm working on, I picked up some skeins of  Plymouth Yarn, "Gina" that I bought during last spring's LA Yarn Crawl and started a narrow granny square scarf.


My Mini-Granny Square Scarf
My greatest quote ever appeared in the book, "CraftActivism" by Gale Zucker and Joan Tapper. I said, and still adhere to:  "Granny Squares are the Building Blocks to Fashion."

One day, I might explore circles.

 

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:52 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shoutout. We loved your projects for Craft Activism!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery