Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Scarves for Soldiers

One of my friends from Stitches From The Heart is involved in a new project. Here's the info:
Scarves for Soldiers in Iraq
Do you knit or crochet? Last year, we mailed 195 scarves and some treats to our soldiers as a Christmas Gift from local Knitters and Crocheters. This year, we hope to send 250 and invite you to join us in this project. Everyone knows it’s hot in Iraq in the summer, but did you know it’s cold in the winter?

Every scarf must be in dark colors for obvious reasons – the size of each scarf should be 37-38” long and about 7” wide. As straight knitting, a single scarf doesn’t take much time to complete, so how about pitching in as one of Santa’s helpers this year with one or more scarves.

Just send your scarves to: Ann Roberts, 5464 Peacock Lane, Riverside, CA 92505 no later than November 11th (Veteran’s Day) and do attach your name and address or e-mail so the young man or woman receiving your scarf will know who made his/her gift. These fine young men and women are in a dangerous place, away from their families and friends – so let‘s show them we really care.
Thanks for being a part of this Christmas Gift project.
I've completed 2 scarves. One is knitted, black Paton's tweed, acrylic; one is crocheted, Red Heart Soft in a toasty color. The one I'm working on now is crocheted, Red Heart in the obvious camoflage colors. Since the scarves are rather short, this is a quick project to complete....a perfect stash-buster for all of us yarn-a-holics!

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 1:17 PM PDT, Blogger Yarnartist said...

Ellen, A perfect procratinating subterfuge - and a mitzvah to boot. Count me in for at least one of these!
Ellene

 
At 3:33 PM PDT, Blogger WineGrrl said...

How do you knit/crochet so fast?

 
At 3:57 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Ellene...you are SOOOO correct! Knitting and crocheting are my preferred methods of procrastination. It seems like I'm doing something useful, when I'm really putting off cleaning out the closet!

Andre'...I am a fast knitter and crocheter. Also, I knit and/or crochet many, many hours a day. Remember, I'm lucky enough to have a low-impact job and a really nice boss!

 
At 1:57 PM PDT, Blogger Sachi said...

I lurve cammo. There's so much in the way of military up here. My dad is a veteran as well. The locals up here are very much into supporting troops. It's lovely.

 
At 2:54 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I'm gonna see an old bfriend tonite who just so happens to be in the military way.

Not that I'm knitting him a scarf, but I just wanted to throw that in. :)

 
At 9:37 PM PDT, Blogger Alicia said...

Hey Ellen,

count me in too!

Alicia

 
At 12:07 AM PDT, Blogger Monique Marie Sauniere said...

I've got one almost finished. I will see if I can get another 1 or 2 done before the 11/11 deadline.

 
At 10:42 AM PDT, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

What a great cause and a fab way to bust some stash! I am really lovin' the RH camo yarn...

 
At 5:25 PM PST, Blogger Ohjodi said...

Can we use the green cammo? I'm confused because the soldiers in the Middle East are not wearing green, they're wearing the grey/tan cammo. If it's the wrong color they won't be used.

 
At 5:29 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Ohjodi....I'm not involved with this project any longer. You may want to check with:

http://anysoldier.com/

 
At 1:43 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there any way I could buy one of your scarfs? They're beautiful!

 
At 7:48 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the compliments, Anonymous. I do not sell scarves that are for donation. I suggest you check with your local small yarn shop to see if they have hand-knit or hand-crocheted scarves for sale.

Ellen B.

 
At 12:20 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a clip on TV of some guys in Afghanistan who will also be needing some scarves real soon. They also said they have a flea problem in their posts on the side of the mountains. I was thinking of making some little bags with cedar chips which may help that problem. Will any of the scarves go to Afghanistan? I am trying to get a group of ladies around the Charlotte, NC area to do scarves and send them to you.

 
At 12:28 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Dar Anonymous in Charlotte, NC. I am no longer collecting scarves for soldiers. Please check this site http://www.soldiersangels.org/contact_info_soldiers_angels.php

for donations. Voice Phone: (615) 676-0239

 
At 8:15 PM PST, Blogger KimberlyRae said...

Hi there! I'd like this pattern please :) Please, could provide a link?
Thanks so much :)

 
At 8:15 PM PST, Blogger KimberlyRae said...

my email address is kreationsbykimberlyrae@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery