Friday, March 09, 2007

Remodeling

Spanish Revival House -1927 - Mid-City L.A.
I drive all over Los Angeles and neighboring cities looking at the way people remodel their homes. So many of the houses on the westside of L.A. are either Spanish-Revival, Tudor-Revival or Post-War Tract and Ranch-Style houses. By the "westside" I use the traditional L.A. definition...anything West of Western Avenue.
I don't seek out or take digi-pix of those made-over McMansions that maximize house size on small lots. Most of them just don't appeal to me. I believe in having a home keep it's scale in relation to other homes in the neighborhood. Also, I'm a member of the Los Angeles Conservancy, striving to protect and preserve the look of a neighborhood.
So, I mostly take pix of one-story, modest homes, much like our own. Our house is a non-distinguished Spanish-Revival house in Mid-City L.A. There's nothing fancy about our 1927 house. The house is original, has never been remodeled, except for a few small changes over the past 80 years. Every single house on our street has been upgraded, added to and/or improved. It's time for us to do something. We have NO curb appeal. Of course, painting and landscaping would improve the look of our house greatly. One of these days, if I nag Mr. Larry enough, this may happen. In the meantime, I keep bringing him outrageous photos of L.A. remodels for him to consider for our house. Some of my favorites:
Remodeled Post-War Tract Home - Santa Monica
Brutalism to the Max

Front-View, SM House

Easy Remodel for a Post-War Home:
Add a Screen, Frost the Windows!

Excellent Modernization of Post-War Home, Venice
I'm still looking for the perfect little remodel.....one of these days...
Have a great weekend!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 1:13 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I *love* the non-remodeled "modest" homes. Especially when they have the expanse of lawn in the front and all colors of flowers. Sigh. That one in venice reminds me of the one at Oly and Highland - you know the one that looks like a sunken Airstream? Which reminds me - what is the name of the style of house that looks like a gingerbread house? There are a few around and about, and they have the cool roofs that dip and stuff?

 
At 2:10 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Always like to see your comments, Monkeygurrrrrrl! Thanks. Missed you last night at SnB!

Hmmm...there are two styles that come to mind regarding your house description above.

If it's an old house, like the ones in our neighborhood..20's, 30's, then it could be a Storybook home. These are also considered English Tudor Revival. Then, there are newer homes, usually Post-WW II...there are lots of these in the hills of Culver City and in the SF Valley. They often are painted wood, light in color with lots of gingerbread cutouts near the doors and windows. Most of these are ranch style, which means the garages are in the front, sometimes attached to the house. These are referred to as "Cinderella" homes. Because, after WW II, women (Cinderellas) stayed home to take care of the kids, waiting for their husbands (Prince Charmings) to come home.

 
At 7:36 AM PST, Blogger mj said...

My house is a little 2 bedroom 1 bath stucco California house, not unlike the one I grew up in. Of course, now it's bigger, but looks exactly the same from the street. That house in Santa Monica is HIDEOUS!! It looks like the aftermath of an earthquake!

 
At 10:37 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in exactly the same boat you are in. My house is 85 years, never been remodeled but I am desparate to add space (library office for Owen) and a big bathroom for me. So let me know when you find something good.

 
At 12:47 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

West of *Western*?!?! That's an interesting definition of Westside... makes sense of course, and I can see why it is the traditional definition, but I think of the Westside as being further West than that. What do you think - culturally - is the Westside? Discuss. (grin) Interesting to me. Personally, I would say I think of the Westside as beginning around La Cienega or so - the beginning of the (310) area code, and noticeably worse traffic. LOL!

 
At 4:57 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I agree with west side being west of Western (or even west of the 110), but when you're talking "Westside" (capitalized), that's more of an attitude, and that *would* be west of La Brea, perhaps even Robertson. Some of the more elitist would define it as west of Westwood.

 
At 7:04 PM PDT, Blogger Members of the Venice Community said...

Ellen, that house in Venice is just at the end of my block! It does look good fairly new neighbors and I don't know them.

I call it the "gypsy" house because a wonderful dog named Gypsy used to live there.

 
At 1:40 AM PDT, Anonymous Angelle Marshall said...

Hey really this is a very impressive article, It is not only a simple article but it is a kind of help to those who are planning for constructing their home. Thanks for sharing these useful tips,you have portrayed your knowledge about home remodeling in a really new and dynamic style.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery