Thursday, March 27, 2008

"Brown Acres"

Our Wednesday dinner group went to a book signing last night instead of our usual meet-up. The name of the book, "Brown Acres" ... An Intimate History of the Los Angeles Sewers, by Anna Sklar. Described on the Angel City Press website: "The complex and often alarming history of the Los Angeles city sewer system is captured for the first time. With more than fifty photographs, diagrams and maps, Brown Acres is the first historical narrative to detail any world-class city’s sewer system—complete with the relationship between headstrong politicians and the reformers who sought to “heal the bay” after a century of pollution and contamination. Brown Acres provides a unique look at the underground history of Los Angeles."
The book signing took place at the Toto showroom in West Hollywood. Toto specializes in deluxe bathroom fixtures. It was a perfect place for this event. Anna Sklar signed books, answered questions and was a most gracious hostess. Publishers Paddy Calistro and Scott McAuley were there, as well as book designer, Amy Inouye. I can't wait to start reading this book. Anything having to do with the history of Los Angeles piques my interest!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 12:47 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen!

How do you get invites to these interesting L.A. happenings?!

Jacquie
West LA

 
At 12:48 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Jacquie!

Well, Larry and I are on mailing lists for art events, book signings and almost anything and everything having to do with architecture (and related topics) in the City of L.A.! Many times, we find out about events by reading the local papers.

 
At 7:01 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

I love that the book signing was at the toto showroom. What an interesting book. I can't wait to hear more about it.

 
At 7:35 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

Very interesting - and amazing perfect location for the party - brilliant idea! I think Santa Monica Press referred to the book as "Black Acres" in their coverage - yipes!

I've heard of Amy Inouye before (unrelated to Chicken Boy) and even after googling her name, can't think where or when. If she does graphic design though I must have seen and admired her work somewhere else in the past!

 
At 8:41 PM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

What a clever location! I love it when people come up with good stuff like that.

Hmm. This book might make my stomach churn. But it sounds really interesting!

 
At 11:16 AM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

This has to be the wackiest local history book I've ever heard about. Hilarious. (there was political infighting about sewers?! totally cracks me up) I love Angel Press's titles.

Being the Buffy/Angel fan I am, they used the LA sewers a lot in Angel; it's how he got around. Icky, but clever.

Happy weekend!

 
At 11:22 AM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Uh, EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! I don't think I could read the book without getting a less-than-appealing visual, but the book signing function looks lovely.

 
At 12:06 PM PDT, Blogger Hannah said...

Wow, you most definitely continue to have your finger on the pulse of Los Angeles! I have been to the Toto Showroom with a friend of mine that teaches at ArtCenter; not my scene initially, but very cool and something to see! The book sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out because of you! Thanks Ellen!

 
At 2:59 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

I never knew that sewers would elicit such a response from my readers! Thanks for all the comments.

Go out and BUY "Brown Acres." If you're at all interested in the history of L.A., you will not be disappointed. It's a very easy read.

 
At 10:51 PM PDT, Blogger KnittingBlueContent said...

Yet again, I wish I knew you back when I lived in the City of Angels.

You always point out the stuff that makes it interesting.

None of that 'another gridlock afternoon at the 405 interchange' lol!

Love your 'short and sweet' posts about the happenings around Los Angeles.

 
At 6:25 PM PDT, Blogger Dree said...

Oh my goodness, I know it sounds crazy, but I bet my 8yo will love this books. At least the pics and maps, if he can't follow the text. I had my husband take him to last Th's public info session with Rosendahl and the head of Street Services in Venice. He looooved it. And all things infrastructure in general.

How do you get invited to these things? Though I doubt they're up for an 8yo tagging along. he got some looks last week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery