Thursday, December 06, 2012

Texture and Design

Catedral Metropolitana de Brasilia, by architect Oscar Niemeyer

With the recent death of famed architect, Oscar Niemeyer, I am reminded of the importance of mood, design and texture in our surroundings.  Niemeyer's glorious Brasilia will always be the utmost in modern design.  Niemeyer preferred curvacious shapes in his designs.  All of his buildings were undulating and glorious. He said, "Right angles don't attract me. Nor straight, hard and inflexible lines created by man," Niemeyer wrote in "The Curves of Time," his 1998 memoir. "What attracts me are free and sensual curves. The curves we find in mountains, in the waves of the sea, in the body of the woman we love."
YES, I do admire and revere Niemeyer's designs HOWEVER, I like straight, hard and inflexible lines created by man.  I'm a grid junkie.  I like the sense of order that the grid provides in design and architecture.
Here are some texture and design elements I've seen around Los Angeles recently.  We are lucky to have so many examples of mid-20th Century design right here in our beautiful City!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery