Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Pink Slipped!

My good friend, Brit e-mailed this article to me this morning, saying that this is close to my neighborhood. True. Wow! Three PINK houses in a row. It's an Instagrammable art project by "The Most Famous Artist" and his company "The Mural Agency." Architectural firm, M-Rad hired The Most Famous Artist to paint the homes. They are also the firm designing the proposed 45-unit apartment complex for this corner of Hi-Point and Saturn in Faircrest Heights (between Fairfax and Crescent Heights, south of Pico, north of Washington Blvd.).
Hi-Point Street between Airdrome and Pico has seen some major development in the past few years. There have been many apartment buildings and those mega-box houses constructed on this street. In a way, I'm sad that the character of those sweet little Spanish Revival homes of the 1930s are gone, but this started happening in the 1950s when the dig-bat apartment houses were being built.
Here is the Artist's statement on his Instagram Account:
themostfamousartist1500 hi point street -- until it's demolished -- an ephemeral conceptual art project as a jumping off point for a conversation about community, development, public art, and social media. A real life manifestation of paintings I've been working on for years. Obvious references to #christo's large scale public color works, #louisenevelson's assemblages, the #dada movement, and #julianschnabel's pink building in west village. With this project I'm encouraging the viewer to formulate their own meaning behind the work. As the artist, I start and the viewer finishes the work. And I'm excited to see where that exchange takes us as a community. Ps -- if I had the budget + time I would have painted the entire structure, but I think we got the message across with the resources we had.

The pinkness started on June 7th. There were some models and photographers there this morning for photo-shoots.  I read that some of the neighbors were upset with the jarring color. Not sure if the houses will be re-painted a more subtle color before demolition starts.
It was super fun walking around the houses this morning snapping shots! I just couldn't stop! Pink is such an infectiously happy color!

Photographers and Models

It might just be the right time to high-tail it over to Hi-Point and Saturn for our annual Christmas card photo shoot!
Before these houses were tickled pink! Photo, Google Maps
UPDATE: June 26, 2017
My friend and neighbor, Lisa, just sent me the photo below. It seems that the pink houses have been re-painted white, about 4 days after the construction fence went up. What's the deal with that? Since the houses are going to be demolished, I wonder why the developer even bothered. I guess the neighborhood kvetchers were REALLY complaining!
Photo by Lisa Clark

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:31 PM PDT, Blogger Dr Purva Pius said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:34 AM PDT, Blogger LadyEEKnits said...

So LA. Its almost sad that they are set to be demolished, I loved the spanish architecture houses, even though I never lived in one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery