Saturday, June 16, 2018

Happy Father's Day

Larry and I attended a funeral yesterday for our friend, photographer Jack Laxer. Jack was 91 years old and led a full and satisfying life. He was best known for his 3-D photographs of mid-century modern architecture in Los Angeles. See these examples for a taste. The service was lovely, his wife, Jan and daughters, Lisa and Ellen planned a wonderful tribute. Sitting in the chapel and listening to everyone speak about Jack made me think about my own Dad, George (1919-2004). I feel sorry for Jack's daughters that he passed just before Father's Day.
George E. Bloom, 1999

When my Dad passed away 14 years ago, everyone told me that it would get easier to think about him and that I wouldn't start sniffling each time. Not true. Yesterday at Jack's funeral brought me right back to my own Father's memorial. I couldn't stop thinking about Pop and what a wonderful man he was. Salty tears on the keyboard right now. Sigh. I miss him very much.
Happy Father's Day to everyone who celebrates and to the memory of all of our fathers who did their best.
Ellen and George, Ahwanhee Hotel, Yosemite, 1961
1980

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:53 AM PDT, Blogger ken bloom said...

I use many of my father's tools everyday as I craft instruments for people and it always puts me in mind of being a young child and watching him carve, saw, and then fit pieces together. For me, i feel him in my shop everyday. I think that Ellen's and my experiences with him maybe different but the intensity of the emotion is the same. Happy Father's Day Pop!

 
At 5:26 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Awwe. My dad was a George too. Much love.

 
At 8:05 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Thanks for sharing this story.

Helen | from Forless, adam eve free shipping

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery