Wednesday, January 29, 2020

OK, Boomer Dinosaur


I've been hearing this phrase A LOT lately. So what's the matter with being a boomer? You could learn something from us, you whippersnappers! Oy! I'm starting to sound like my Father!
From Wikipedia: The phrase "OK Boomer" is a pejorative retort used to dismiss or mock perceived narrow-minded, outdated, negatively-judgemental, or condescending attitudes of older people, particularly baby boomers, born between 1946 and 1964. The term has been used as a retort for perceived resistance to technological change, climate change denial, marginalization of members of minority groups or opposition to younger generations' ideals.
I like eating at classic L.A. restaurants that I've been frequenting for 50 years. #dinosaur #okboomer
So much of television and movies have recently been involved with remembering the 1960s and the 1970s. The Seventies are Fifty! There are documentaries, mockumentaries, novelizations of real events and stories set during those times in the U.S. Larry and I are addicted to television and pop culture of that era. My name is Ellen and I'm a TV-a-holic. As we watch these shows based on the 60s and 70s, we are reminded of our own high school and college years in Los Angeles. We are dinosaurs...irrelevant in today's culture. OK, Boomer!
Boomer Birthday Party, 1956, Roxbury Park, Beverly Hills
I'm not surprised any longer when I meet people that know other people I know, even when they're from different aspects of my life. I have school friends, music biz friends, yarny friends, relatives, historic preservation friends, art and painting friends, ukulele friends, etc. These groups often intersect. I guess I just have INTERESTING friends, almost all are from the Baby Boomer generation! After awhile, I just assume that all of my friends know each other and that we all have experienced the same things growing up. We are the "dinosaur" people. OK, Boomer!
Boomer Food
Everything I do and see comes back to those pivotal mid-1960s and early 1970s years. I am at the point in my life now where I often look back and don't dare look too much into the future. Everything I see reminds me of those times. It is the end of an era. We'd better write down our memories and catalog those photos or everything will be lost to later generations. OK, Boomer!
Boomer Camera
Let's hang out together, my dinosaur friends. If we do not have children to care for us during our fossil years, we must cultivate younger friends that understand our pre-historic ways and can learn about our shared memories. OK, Boomer!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 3:21 PM PST, Blogger BluOnyxExpressions said...

If it weren't for us Baby Boomers, they wouldn't have their beloved "gadgets ". Without the founders of Apple and Microsoft, who were of the Baby Boomer generation, there would be no computer, iPhone, iPad, video game, Android systems and other Technological inventions.

So as a Proud Baby Boomer, my advice to the crowd who likes to use the term "Okay Boomer", put a little "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in your voice and tone when addressing us "Boomers"....Just sayin.....

 
At 8:14 PM PST, Blogger KateNola said...

I’m proud of being a Boomer. How many young people can say they ended a war? I participated in the anti-war demonstrations. It was those demonstrations across the country that made David Brinkley decide that maybe the demonstrators were right. When he came out against the Vietnam war the White House said that when they lost Brinkley, they lost America. Johnson decided not to run for re-election because of us.

In college at LSU I was active in the civil rights movement, and did some crazy things that young people do because they don’t know any better that could have gotten me killed. We did it because it was the right thing to do.

When I moved to Berkeley in 1970 lots of young people registered to vote and elected the “Radical Coalition” replacing white guys on the city council with a Black Mayor, and several women including women of color. It made international news because at that time elected officials were almost always old white guys.

We supported Cesar Chavez and his farm workers. We boycotted Safeway, and didn’t eat lettuce and grapes for years. We supported the Native Americans who occupied Alcatraz. We joined the Sierra Club and worked to save the planet when no one was talking about it. We heard about this thing called recycling, and did it before anyone.

That was just the beginning. We never stopped. We didn’t need instant gratification. We were in it for the long haul, and we still are, until we die.

 
At 9:01 PM PST, Blogger betty said...

I think of "ok boomer" as a different version of our "never trust anyone over 30" :)

 
At 7:34 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Brenda, Kate and Betty! Thank you for your comments. I heartily AGREE!

Peace!
Ellen B.

 
At 2:54 AM PST, Blogger Infotechzone said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery