Thursday, September 14, 2006

Happiest Place

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Shag's Pin of Tomorrowland
Disneyland calls itself the Happiest Place on Earth. I don't know about that, but I do know that we're going there tomorrow!
This is Disneyland's 50th anniversary, so Mr. Larry and I wanted to see what new or vintage features have been added to the Park for this event. I do not like to admit this, but I was at Disneyland as an extremely small child during the first few years it opened. My folks used to take me and my brother every New Year's Day to the Park. Since my Dad wasn't particularly a football fan, this was the perfect time for us to go. Of course, in every single photo of us from those years, we're all bundled up in coats, hats and scarves. You'd think that Anaheim was the North Pole. I found a few great photos of Disneyland from the Imaginary World that look like my good ol' Park o' the Past!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Notice the 1963 Ford Falcon approaching the Magic Kingdom

When I was a child, the Dumbo ride and the Teacups were my faves. We must go on the newly reinvigorated Pirates of the Caribbean ride tomorrow.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Artist, Josh Agle aka SHAG, has designed dessert plates, coffee mugs, pillows, pins, bracelets, maps, prints, etc. for the 50th anniversary. I already own the dessert plates and mugs. I must get one more faboo Shag souvenier tomorrow.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Shag's Pin of Frontierland

After Disneyland, we'll be heading for the high desert town of Joshua Tree. We're spending the weekend in the beautiful tri-city desert area. Once upon a time I was a public radio d.j. and my former radio partner, John "Juke" Logan is playing at Pappy and Harriet's Pioneertown Palace on Saturday night, in celebration of his birthday. It should be a great time.

There are tons of wonderful antique and thrift shops to visit along Highway 62 in the desert, so I'm sure Mr. Larry and I will pick up a few treasures, as well as enjoying the most gorgeous National Park in our State.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 4:45 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I swear it was the 50th Anniv celebration at Dland LAST YEAR at this time, when we went for the Monkey's birdday. Methinks they are milking the idea a bit too much.

:) I remember Dland from my early years, when the phrase "an E Ticket ride" actually meant something!! AND I thought the Matterhorn was a real mountain. :)

Have a great time.

 
At 8:20 PM PDT, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

What a great time you two have planned. I can't believe that I have been all over Cali and never to Joshua!
I will be hitting the big DLand myself next month with my Mom, and sisters.
Have fun, fun fun!!

 
At 8:58 AM PDT, Blogger mj said...

I don't know if I told you, but I worked at Disneyland through college and a bit after. I was a "fountain girl" at the pancake house and at the Hungry Bear stand (back in the days of "Bear Country") and ended up in wardrobe. I left in '84 to do wardrobe on the Olympics and the rest is history. Have a great time in Joshua Tree!

mj

 
At 11:28 AM PDT, Blogger WineGrrl said...

D-Land has never been the same since they got rid of Adventures Through Innerspace.

 
At 4:20 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

The first time I went to Disneyland, Space Mountain was "under renovation" and Tom Sawyer island was closed. The guy I was with (an actor) was on his cell the whole time and I didn't have a good time.

The second time I went to Disneyland was the same day as the premiere of the first "Pirates.." movie and I saw Johnny "Denise's Love Toy" Depp.

I'm glad I gave it a second chance.

 
At 9:47 AM PDT, Blogger Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I don't know what part of this post makes me the happiest- the Shag pins, the update on my 'Ol stomping ground, or the '63 Falcon- my first car! Your blog is a wonderful read for this displaced Angelino.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery