Monday, September 18, 2006

Kidvision

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ellen, Walt and Mickey

We visited Disneyland this past Friday. I have a serious case of Kidvision. Kidvision is the way you thought you saw things when you were a kid. Kids always remember everything bigger and better than it actually was. I have been to Disneyland as an adult, but not in over 10 years. I was looking for the Disneyland of my youth. I saw a beautifully maintained theme park, lacking in wonderment. I guess I'm jaded. The rides were all great, but where were the scientific and historical attractions? So many of the old features of Walt's vision are gone: Mr. Lincoln, Circle-rama, Skyway to Tomorrowland, Flying Saucers, Monsanto House of the Future, etc. I wanted to be educated as well as entertained and thrilled. One of the reasons Disneyland was different than any old amusement park was that it offered visions to the future so that kids could imagine on their own what the world could be like. Today's theme parks seem to be all about hurling kids into the air, eating junkfood and making them buy souveniers.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I expect all of the historical 50th anniversary
items will disappear soon
It was a perfect day in Anaheim, about 75 degrees, puffy clouds, slight breeze. Mr. Larry and I got to Disneyland at about 11 am. We parked and walked in. It wasn't crowded, mostly Moms with small kids in strollers and retirees with their grandchildren. We headed right over to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. We wanted to get the big rides out of the way before the after-school crowd descended on the Park. Pirates is about the same as I remembered it except they added the Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) character. There were Depp wannabes all over the Park...even kid pirates.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Kid Pirates

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Captain Jack Sparrow Character
We raced over to Space Mountain. I don't ever remember going on that ride. Mr. Larry is a huge roller coaster fan, so he was delighted that we only had to wait about 10 minutes to get on. There's this disclaimer at the beginning that if you have high blood pressure, heart problems, etc., you should not go on the ride. I don't have any of those problems, but after 2 seconds on Space Mountain, I knew I should have waited for Larry on the ground. Oy! It was so fast, wild, dropping into nothingness, windy, frightening. At one point I thought I was going to be hurled out of the car! I was clutching at the sunglasses held in the top of my shirt. When we finally got off our spaceship (it was probably only about 2 minutes long, but seemed like forever), I was so happy to be on solid earth. Disney-digi photos are snapped of guests as they're in mid-space that they want you to purchase. I took a blurry photo of our picture on display. Larry is smiling with glee. I'm clutching at my chest with a look of horror on my face.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Space Mountain was windy and frightful!
Next stop: I insisted that we visit an attraction that doesn't move much. We ended up at the Enchanted Tiki Room. We had a yummy Dole pineapple juice while we were waiting to go into the tiki hut. It was perfect. Just like I remembered it. All the birds, flowers, tikis and animals singing cheerful songs. Now, that's magic! Disney music is really the happiest music on earth.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I must say, I'm still in awe of the architecture and landscaping at Disneyland. Every building is meticulous and historically correct. New Orleans Square really does look like pre-Katrina New Orleans; Storybookland really has storybook style architecture and Tomorrowland is extremely futuristic. We delighted in some of the newer architectural innovations too, like the Space Lounge and the Disneyana art gallery. The landscaping is incredible. The way that the topiary bushes are trimmed and maintained is truly fantastic.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Small World landscaping

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tomorrowland Wall

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Space Lounge

We went over to Bear Country and had lunch at the Critter Cafe. Burger, fries, Coke - $10.75. It was a little high-priced, but tasty. Remember the Country Bear Jamboree? It's gone. The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse is now the Tarzan Treehouse. I suppose that's progress.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We sauntered over to Fantasyland. By this time, the Park was really getting crowded. We walked around and snapped a few shots of my childhood rides. These have remained the same. I was disappointed that the Storybook boats were closed for repair.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I snapped a shot of kids on the Dumbo ride. Of course, there was a dad on his cellphone high up in the air, oblivious to the enjoyment of his little boy.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Matterhorn was closed. We spent some time shopping on Main Street. I purchased a bag designed by Shag and a Nightmare Before Christmas ball ornament for my new car's attena.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Antenna Ball, perfect for the Halloween Season

It was 5pm when we were finally worn out. We really did have a nice time, but at $50-$60 per ticket, I won't be visiting for another decade or so. A few parting shots of the day:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Bronzed Chip and Dale

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Walt's first cartoons on view

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

50th Anniversary Landscaping

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Too Many Strollers

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Consumerism at it's finest

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Golden Ears

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Mr. Monster Man

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Some things never change - Petrified Tree

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

They don't embroider your name on the hats by hand anymore

For the workers at Disneyland, it seems to me that a job is a job. In my youth, much more attention was paid to the kids wanting their photos taken with Disney characters. This past weekend, I saw a lot of the Park employees looking at their watches, chatting among themselves and generally looking bored. Yeah, I know it's just a job, but to a kid, Disneyland is Magic Land. Help make this the adventure of their lives, please!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Average Disney Employee, Punching Out for the Day

Tomorrow.....all about our visit to Joshua Tree.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 7:43 PM PDT, Blogger MLFTC said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:33 PM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

This is such great review! I love the mix of nostalgia (which I practically live on) and excitement. My two fav pics? YOU and Mr. Larry on the roller coaster -- priceless! -- and the last, of Goofy, probably punching out to go home and smoke a doobie. :)

 
At 9:49 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, you look so cute drinking your pineapple juice. And I love the shot of you on Space Mt. ride. I remember Michael and I just clutched each other screaming when we rode on it. I think it was the dark that freaked me out the most. Mr. Larry is one brave man (or is that monster?).

 
At 4:52 AM PDT, Blogger Susan Wike said...

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and remember my uncle giving us all tickets to Disneyland for Christmas one year. I believe I was 7 or 8 and the tickets cost $7.00--ye gads!!! We went to Disneyland many times over the years. I think the memory that your pictures stirred immediately was the Small World ride. I remember that cool spray of water and the smell that went along with that wonderful, albeit repetitive tune. Remember the World of Tomorrow exhibit where you sat and felt like the whole room was moving from one scene to the next? I loved that one.
Glad to see the Tiki Room still functions, but am sorry that you can't go hear Mr. Lincoln speak. That was always the last place we went...to get us calmed down for the ride home, I guess. Oh, and we couldn't afford those mouse ears when I was a kid. Now I know we couldn't afford them!!!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Ellen!!!!

 
At 6:27 AM PDT, Blogger Abby Hansen said...

Love the pics!
I know what you mean...Disneyland's gotten a bit out of control, though I'm reassured when we visit the Haunted Mansion.

But where's your Shag Bag?

I was lucky enough to do the promo when Shag's home was featured on Homes With Style...mucho tiki statues.

 
At 10:38 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should check out this blog about Disneyland -- I think it's right up your alley!

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/

I'm really hoping that the changes happening in Disney at the corporate level will bring the park back to its potential. I have faith! John Lasseter is definitely a visionary, and it will be interesting to see where he takes it.

 
At 11:18 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

I LOVE the Tiki Room!!! I'm always nostalgic for the Disney of the past too. One year I went to Disneyworld which was surreal because everything was a little off in terms of placement and there was a completely different facade on the haunted house! Weird. And you couldn't walk two steps without a stroller running into your shins. Disneyland is much better, but maybe because it's the one I grew up on.

 
At 11:31 AM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Hmmm. I always liked the sit-down attractions (like journey into a cell or something? Am I making this up??), b/c, "back in the day", that would be the place to make out with a boy you'd just met. :)

The WeeMonkeyGurl wants Dland for HER birthday, too. Unfortunately, you've reminded me of all the reasons I hate to go. :(

 
At 2:12 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I love your photo from Space Mountain. You're so cute.

I totally need a Jack antenna ball.

 
At 10:47 PM PDT, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

Ditto what Susan says and dancing waters forever! I also miss the penguins and ostrich at Busch Gardens and still get the creeps at the thought of the audio for that historic plane crash with cannibals at the wax museum..oohhh!
Great trip Ellen and I love the Jack touch to the new wheels;)

 
At 9:31 AM PDT, Blogger triplecreme said...

I love Disneyland too!! By the way, the Lincoln exhibit is still there, they just are using that theater for the special 50th anniversary show, once the celebration is over, Mr. Lincoln will be back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery