Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Labor Day Weekend

Flan at Spain Restaurant
It was hot, hot, hot again in L.A. this weekend! We really didn't have any major plans...a few parties....a few field trips....a lot of knitting, DVD's and TV and generally hangin' out.
On Saturday, I picked up Rhoda in my new car and we zoomed around the City for a bit so Rhoda could get the full-on Matrix experience. We ended up for lunch in Echo Park at Spain (one of my fave restaurants). We split the roasted chicken dinner with saffron rice and salad. We were so starving, that I forgot to take photos of the chicken...it was delicious...lots of paprika. We had Spain's spectacular flan for desert. This is the most outstanding flan I've ever tasted. It's very eggy and rich. The burnt-carmelized brown sugar coating is most incredible. They fancied up our plates with chocolate, powdered sugar and fruit, but they didn't even need to do that. I could go on and on and on about that flan, but my photo will have to suffice.
Rhoda brought a few of her recent antique pottery purchases for me to see. She's particularly fond of porcelain ladies with full skirts. Rhoda has one of the best collections I've ever seen of 40's and 50's pottery and figurines. She's also very knowledgable about vintage costume jewelry.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Rhoda's Recent Pottery Purchases

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Spain Restaurant, 1866 Glendale Blvd.
Echo Park, (323) 667-9045
After lunch Rho and I stopped at Black Sheep Knittery in Hollywood. The lovely Miss Carla had given me a gift certificate to this wonderful LYS for my birthday and it was burning a hole in my wallet. I ended up buying some Koigu sock yarn in pink and raspberry tones, some Lana Grossa sale yarn in a cocoa color and the most most gorgeous skein of Blue Heron Beaded Rayon yarn. Ana suggested I take a look at the Blue Heron yarns...they are lovely and come in the most wonderful color combinations. The yarn I bought is called "Kelp." It's olive greens and purples...gorgeous. I started knitting what I call the "Ana Tank Top." She gave me a basic recipe and I think it will turn out beautifully.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Top of my "Ana-Tank" in Blue Heron Yarn - Kelp

On Sunday, we had brunch in the Marina with my folks at Jerry's Deli. Then we zoomed home, changed into our BBQ duds and drove back out to Pacific Palisades. We'd been invited to a Blues Jam and BBQ. It was lots of fun....photos later.

On Monday, I woke up and started knitting on the Ana-Tank. Later in the day I went over to Faith's place where she was in the process of cleaning out all of her yarn, fabric and patterns in anticipation of moving. I picked up some MORE YARN and PATTERNS, which of course I really need! Thanks for the breakfast quiche, Faith. I'm hoping you'll post the recipe. It was divine!

I couldn't quite get enough of the yarn experience, so I hopped on the SM Freeway and drove over to Stitches From The Heart. This was the only yarn shop open on Labor Day. I'd heard that Pam would be selling Tupperware. I can always use some more Wonderlier Bowls. Alas, I missed the party. All the people were gone except for Edna and another lady knitter. I sat around and knitted some more on my Ana-Tank. Edna told me that I just miss Ana too!!! She had left just minutes before I dropped in.

All in all, it was a good weekend.


Labels:

3 Comments:

At 3:21 PM PDT, Blogger Susan Wike said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend!!! New yarn, new pattern, Tupperware....

 
At 10:55 PM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

What a great weekend! You know I went to Spain last year on your recommendation. Great food. Flan I do not like, but you're making it sound so tasty that next time I might give it a chance.

I'm thrilled that I was able to contribute to your yarn accumulation! Love love love the Blue Heron.

Oh, man is your new car cute. We'll have to figure out some place to go just so I can ride in it. Thanks to you and this dangerous blog, I simply must have more costume jewelry. One of these weekends...

 
At 10:29 PM PDT, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

I'm in for a field trip in the new ride too and now I have to go to Spain and I must try that flan because it looks amazing, though not a flan fan.
I also have to compile an "Ellen's Faves" restaurant list and start crossing them off one by one. I can't keep up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery