Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Zankou Very Much

Sunset and Normandie, East Hollywood
After our trip to the Thinkspace Art Gallery on Friday, we headed over to East Hollywood to have a quick dinner at Zankou Chicken. This place has been written about quite extensively on the internets...here, here, here and here, to name a few. The reason people write endlessly about delicious Zankou chicken is because it's consistently faboo.
We like the original location in a mini-mall on Sunset and Normandie. A few years ago, they bought the doughnut shop next door and expanded the seating area. I discovered Zankou when I worked at KTLA in Hollywood during the late 1980's. I've been a disciple ever since.
There was a Zankou-related tragedy a few years ago, mentioned here. The place has been mentioned in songs, short stories and of course, blogs.
I think I've tried everything on the menu at least once. My favorite is still the chicken and the hummus. Anyplace that has actual photographs of their food on display is my kind of place.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Zankou has expanded over the years to six or seven locations.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

On this particular night, Mr. Larry ordered the two-piece chicken dinner. I ordered the chicken shwarma sandwich. I can do without the hot pink radish stuff and peppers, but everything else was positively divine. You must try it.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 1:14 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Holy moly!!! I was looking at the pictures, thinking your pixels must be off or sumpthin. Who knew anything *that* vibrant occurred in eating establishments!!

 
At 1:46 PM PDT, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

i used to live right there and never ate there because it looks suspicious. but now i might have to go back.

 
At 2:19 PM PDT, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

Who knew all that history about Zankou Chicken? I love that chicken both at the original on Sunset and the one in the Valley are the two locations I eat at but now I see there is one on Sepulveda. Their garlic sauce is AbFab!

 
At 3:31 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

mmm...Zankou.
Okay, so I'm a geek, but there's a demon on "Charmed" named Zankou, and every time they mentioned him, I would think of chicken.

 
At 4:24 PM PDT, Blogger WineGrrl said...

That pickled whatever looks good!

 
At 4:58 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were at the Burbank Zankou on Sunday night, and I agree, the chicken and humuus are delish. But what's up with the pita? Not that it's not good, but they give it away by the bundles. After each eating our share, we left with 8 pockets!! WTF??? Tonight I'm going to make them into toasty pita chips, for dipping into my eggplant caponata from Trader Joe's. (God I love food!)

 
At 7:05 AM PDT, Blogger Abby Hansen said...

Zankouuuuuu...!!!

I live nearby, so the girl at the counter never has to ask me what I'm having.

But the pickled turnips??
They're like crack...I love those things.

JSYK, it's beets in the pickling that give them their color.

 
At 11:31 AM PDT, Blogger Faith said...

For me - it's all about the mutabbal. That stuff is like good olive oily crack. Seriously.

I love Zankou!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery