Monday, January 29, 2007

Saturday Yard Sale

Yard Sale Queen Christine
We participated in Christine's yard sale on Saturday in Burbank. Larry and I both did quite well and sold ALMOST all of our junk. Of course, since there were several of us selling things, we all bought and sold things to each other! Even though rain threatened, we managed to keep things going until around noon. The rain didn't start in Burbank until 1-ish.
Marilyn Knits Between Sales
Larry Samples Christine's Home-Brew
Ellen Crochets and Sells "Collectibles"

Marilyn, Amy and Greg Shop

Faith and Laurie Drop By to Add Moral Support
Also, Faith clued me in on a Burbank secret. The Handy Market on Magnolia, just west of Buena Vista has an outdoor barbecue every Saturday.
NOTE: Vegetarians....stop reading here.
They sell tri-tip roasts, chicken and baby back ribs. You can see and smell the billowing smoke. They must use some sort apple mesquite in the bbq's. It smells heavenly. We bought a half-chicken, one slab of baby-backs and a small tri-tip. For all three, the cost was about $25! I put most of this bounty in the freezer and we ate the rest. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Thanks for the tip, Faith! We'll have meat for weeks!


We walked around this small-town market a bit. Looks like they sell delicious sandwiches at their deli counter. They had lots of specials on Saturday and the produce looked very fresh. I didn't want to spend all of our yard sale proceeds in one place, so we hurried home to eat our bbq lunch!

Smoke Gets In His Eyes

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 3:20 PM PST, Blogger Moorecat said...

Hi Ellen, I've stumbled across your blog via Knitgrrl. I live in Melbourne, Australia, and my 6yo DD is called Ellen. It is a lovely name, if I say so myself :)

Is there any chance you will publish your Sweet cardigan pattern? It's quite rare to see a crocheted garment that looks so stylish.

 
At 3:45 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need BBQ now :)

And look how intrigued I am by the squirrel candy dish!!!

 
At 3:49 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hey Moorecat....I'll send you the cardigan recipe if you e-mail me your address! Let me know...
ellblo at aol dot com

 
At 3:50 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

DUDE!!! I once drove by that place (quite by accident, I'm sure) when I was in my "exploring east LA" phase. As a non flesh eater, I gotta tell you, that was very, very tempting.

Christine's house is so cute. It looks like you guys had fun!

 
At 3:50 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:42 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen...I came across your blog today and I'm hooked...I read it most of the afternoon. I love all the pictures. I just love the crocheted cardigan you had a picture of a few days ago...any chance you are going to publish it?
Would love to make it! Lulu

 
At 7:42 PM PST, Blogger Vouray said...

Hey Ellen, every time I have a yard sale, the first 30 people that show up ask me "Any Tools?", and "Any Guitars?" And they never have any teeth whatsoever. Did ya get any of that? Also, could you be so sweet as to email me the crochet version of Lizard Ridge for my customers who crochet? (Pug@hokie.com)
Ciao!

 
At 10:15 PM PST, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I tried to stop by, I swear. I thought I knew where Oxnard was or was it Oxford? I couldn't find either, and I drove all over Burbank and North Hollywood, knowing for sure that I've driven by there at least once. Naturally I didn't Google map it before I left home. So, as I turned back toward Hollywood Way, I had to pee. I gave up and went home. Sorry.

 
At 10:16 PM PST, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Oh! It was a squirrel candy dish? I missed out on a squirrel candy dish? Rats!

 
At 7:12 AM PST, Blogger Faith said...

No Laurie Ann, not rats, squirrels!

Couldn't resist.

Ellen - I knew you'd love the handy market! I'm so glad you went. I have to wait 2 weeks for my next bbq but I hear they have amazing steaks in Calgary.

 
At 8:36 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds SO yummy! I love me some BBQ!

Handy Mart it will soon be! Thanks for the tip!

xo

 
At 7:49 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered this great little market, too. So the BBQ's good, huh? I smelled it. I saw it. But unfortunately I just ate before running into the store. But next time I'll make sure to arrive hungry try the BBQ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery