Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Re-Use

Rippin' out that ol' olive poncho
In architectural circles, when someone speaks of re-use or re-purposing, they are usually talking about renovating an existing building and using it for purposes other than for what it was originally built. There are many examples of this around our City of Los Angeles. The Rancho Park Bowling Alley on Pico Boulevard near Prosser became the Stanley Holden Dance Studio (all those great wooden floors); the Stadium Theater on Pico and Livonia became Temple Bnai David (fantastic art deco design); the original Nibbler's Restaurant (formerly Armstrong-Schroeder's Restaurant) on Wilshire and Spaulding in Beverly Hills became the Israeli Bank Leumi (lots of dark smokey glass windows). Of course there are countless other examples.
I believe in re-purposing. I've often used cracked Tupperware for non-food uses (storing accessories); cracked coffee cups make cute little planters after drilling a small hole in the bottom for plant drainage; crummy old couch pillows look like new when you crochet a new cover for them.
I've been cleaning out my closet and I came across an olive green wool poncho that I made a few years back. The yarn is gorgeous. I'm not quite sure what the brand is, but I do remember purchasing it at the now defunct Emmaline's Yarn Shop in Kenneth Village, Glendale. Speaking of re-purposing, Emmaline's is now Itza Knitterie (Natalie recently blogged about the shop). Let's face it, the poncho has seen better days. It has gone the way of fuzzy eyelash yarn. The hip and stylish fashion magazines are not showing ponchos right now. It's over. So, I've decided to frog this poncho, even after repeated steamings, and see what I can make with this gorgeous yarn. My original poncho was of the asymetrical variety, knitted in a twisted drop stitch with a granite stitch crocheted border.
The poncho in earlier days
Do you have something in your closet that could be re-purposed? The possibilities are endless!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 2:04 PM PDT, Blogger Jenn said...

What fun! New yarn and open possibilities. I'm a big fan of the 3-r's. We joke that our home is based completely on it -- and the more I look around it, it's more of a reality that I realized.

 
At 3:23 PM PDT, Blogger WineGrrl said...

That picture of you is so cute!

 
At 3:41 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Oh, it's so PURTY, tho. I think you should buck the trends and do your own thing (unless YOU personally don't like ponchos). Because it is really gorgeous on you.

Sigh. I could "repurpose" all my "WIPs"/"UFOs". . . into MORE STASH!!!

 
At 8:30 AM PDT, Blogger mary said...

I'm not a big poncho fan but that one is so cute on you! Good for you for recycling and repurposing.

 
At 12:38 PM PDT, Blogger Allison said...

Love that you are recycling! I had a big pink fuzzy poncho that was just one big rectangle, so I undid the seam, picked up some stitches and kept knitting - and voila! A baby blanket!

 
At 4:34 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

I applaud your recycling your poncho into something new! Artistically and architecturally I love reuse. And back when I was much, much slimmer, I wore vintage clothes for years.

But me? In thinking about it, I realized that when I'm done knitting/crocheting a project, I'm DONE with it. Most of them are given away to people, so I don't interact much with them once they've been passed on...but even those that aren't? I've usually donated any leftover yarn and have moved onto the next new thing. (who knew I was so trendy? must come from watching all those French movies when I was in high school) Silly me. Are you having fun revisiting your olive yarn?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery