Thursday, September 04, 2008

Cement

Cement Truck at our house
Woo Hoo! The cement guys are at our house today, pouring the foundation for our room addition. It's all very exciting.
We were delayed for a few weeks, due to some plan variations regarding methane vents. Some of you may remember a huge methane explosion in the Miracle Mile area in 1985. It happened under the Ross-Dress-For-Less, in the Town and Country Shopping Center on Third St. near Fairfax (across the street from the Original Farmers Market). This area is rich in tar (La Brea Tar Pits), methane, oil and other such gases. This is supposedly one of the reasons that a subway has not been planned in this area.
ANYWAY, the City's Building Department needed to see that we had planned for vents under our addition for this purpose. Yes, of course we had. There are vents like this all over our neighborhood. Argh! Various people took days and days to check into this. Bureaucracy! It bugs me when people don't communicate properly.
Neighborhood Vent
Oh well....we're on our way now. I can't wait to get home and actually see the cement footprint of our new addition! Yayyyyy!
Since Monday, I've had a bad case of laryngitis. I can't talk, only whisper. I suppose I overdid it during the holiday weekend. The doctor said that the virus I have settled in my larynx. I feel OK, I just can't talk. I missed two days at the office, but I knew the work was piling up, so I went back today. Some of my co-workers are answering phones for me. In a way, it's kinda' nice not to talk. I just do my work and take care of biz. I find myself smiling alot and nodding my head at people.
I did manage to get some knitting and crocheting done while I was home. I assembled a sweater that Mary Jo is testing. It's a sideways knit, Debbie Bliss's Scoop Neck Cardigan. She worked it in a test acrylic, before making it in Noro Kureyon. Excellent idea. I had Larry try the sweater on after I assembled it and the sleeves are way too long, even for him! It just cracks me up to see this sexy, scoop-necked sweater on a man with a sunken chest. I think it's time for Larry to buy me a dress form so he doesn't have to be my wrongway model!!!

Hahahahahaha! The Reluctant Sweater Model

This is what the sweater is SUPPOSED to look like!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 12:57 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

But Larry makes such a lovely model...

I always wondered what those boxes were and now I know. Ellen, you're so educational.

 
At 1:15 PM PDT, Blogger susanc said...

I agree, Larry makes a lovely model - he looks so thrilled to be modeling! His picture gave me a chuckle!

I never knew what those boxes were either. Learn something new every day. Hope your voice comes back soon.

 
At 2:24 PM PDT, Blogger Viva Scrapper! said...

I love the face he's making....it says, "I'm being a trooper, but I'm not being a happy trooper."

 
At 3:02 PM PDT, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Always entertaining to see Larry in women's clothing. LOL

 
At 3:10 PM PDT, Blogger jillian said...

Ha! That pic of Larry is the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

Hope your throat feels better soon!

 
At 4:18 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a good sport. I think those colors look good on Larry.

 
At 10:58 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Man, poor Larry. He looks miserable, but what a sport!

I can't believe you still don't have a voice. I hope it comes back soon.

 
At 7:11 AM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

LOL! Is Larry hanging his head in infamy?

Congrats on the cement.

 
At 10:16 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

Oooo - I used to get laryngitis after head colds frequently many years ago when I worked in a bank. It was so frustrating - sounds like you have a much better attitude about it than I did!

 
At 12:54 AM PDT, Blogger KnittingBlueContent said...

Gah! I totally missed this blog post over on ravelry!

Just having glanced through it, all that remains in my mind is Larry the Model in a handknit.

SO going back to read through and ogle The Lare-ness! What a great guy to throw that on and have pictures taken!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery