Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Practicing

Practicing - 2008
This weekend, Larry and I are going to Mile-High Idyllwild in the San Jacinto Mountains. We will be communing with many of my old friends from the days when we were campers and counselors at Idyllwild School of Music and the Arts, now called Idyllwild Arts Foundation. I have seen many of my old friends over the years, but I haven't seen a few selected people for about 35 years! This is really going to be fun.
I was in the art program when I was there, but many of my friends were in the choral and instrumental music programs. We used to meet every morning before classes started for Morning Sing. Sometimes, I would lead the group on my twangy banjo. Even though I've been playing ukulele lately, I dusted off the old banjo and started practicing a few old tunes. I'm rusty, but I'm sure everyone else is too.
In preparation for the trip, I went over to McCabe's Guitar Shop yesterday to get a travelling case for my banjo. Recently, McCabe's celebrated their 50 anniversary! Everyone's nostalgic lately.
McCabe's Guitar Shop, Pico Blvd., Santa Monica
I'm really looking forward to this weekend trip. Promise to take lots of photos!

Morning Sing w/Jonde Northcutt on Guitar and Ellen on Banjo - 1970

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 11:46 AM PDT, Blogger mj said...

Weren't you the cutest thing? And so brave wearing horizontal striped pants. I looked pretty much the same then, long straight hair parted in the middle. Have a wonderful time!

 
At 3:45 PM PDT, Blogger jillian said...

Wonderful pictures of you, now and then!

My mom played the banjo for a while - five finger and bluegrass tunes :)

 
At 4:29 PM PDT, Blogger Monique Marie Sauniere said...

Groovy pants, E!

 
At 9:50 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Seymour may need to take banjo lessons from you. Once we find a small enough banjo, that is. :)

 
At 10:35 AM PDT, Blogger Christy T said...

oh my goodness!!! how fun :)

 
At 12:24 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Have fun in Idyllwild! I love that photo of you.

My Dad used to play the banjo. Badly. He traded a guy in college a car for it, and always grinned when he said he never knew who got the better deal. Aw, now I'm nostalgic. Time to break out the Bill Monroe!

 
At 4:00 AM PDT, Blogger ChelleC said...

Oh my gosh, weren't you just so cute? I miss those times. The 70's were a special and unique time in America and I will ALWAYS miss it. Go have fun this weekend playing your banjo.

 
At 8:21 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Great photos of you and your banjo! Sounds like you will have a blast this weekend. Can someone please you tube the morning sing along!?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery