Friday, November 13, 2009

Vintage Photo Friday

75 years and still a wonderful place to visit. Yes, that's our favorite, neighborhood hang, the Original Farmers Market. "Meet Me At 3rd and Fairfax" is the slogan that we keep saying over and over again. We call the Farmers Market the VORTEX of Los Angeles, because eventually, everyone gets sucked into the place!
Below are a few vintage postcards from the Market's past.Before The Grove shopping center was built on the land where the Farmers Market outer buildings existed, there was an entire north side of stores and even little shops in the middle of the parking lot. Above is the famous Basket Shop.



I'm at the Market almost every Thursday night with my West Hollywood Stitch 'n Bitch Group. We meet in the upstairs dining area, above Kip's Toyland from 7-9pm. This gives us an opportunity to visit, knit and eat dinner! I've become addicted to some of the treasures found at the Market, like Little John's perfect honeycomb candy, Magee's yummy, fresh almond butter and Bob's doughnuts. No one said everything was healthy at the Market, but there are also some wonderful fruit and vegetable stands. You can read more about the history of the Farmers Market here.
More VPF.
Have a great weekend! Maybe I'll see you at the Original Farmers Market tomorrow? I'll be in the upstairs dining area from 10am to noon with my knitster/crochet friends! Join us!

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 10:53 AM PST, Blogger Pat Saperstein said...

Don't you wish ladies still shopped in fuzzy pink hats? Love the old photos. Remember the drive-in movie theater?

 
At 10:57 AM PST, Blogger Sarah said...

I'll see ya there tomorrow!

 
At 5:16 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

LOVE those fuzzy hats. The precursor to fun fur!!!

 
At 7:56 PM PST, Anonymous Danny said...

Simply the best place in L.A. And a great writing venue, I'm there several times a week. But I'm glad they dumped those ugly signs from that first postcard--is that one from the 60s? I miss those outer buildings but they were a bit squalid in later years and the Grove didn't turn out to be the demise of the Market as we all feared.

 
At 12:14 AM PST, Blogger blandina said...

How I love your blog! I avidly read it every time that you post, dreaming of being in LA and being able to visit every event and every place that you suggest. I come to LA twice a year since my son lives there and I hope to join you at the Fairview Knitters one of these days.
All the best from Florence, Italy!
Blandina

 
At 8:13 AM PST, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

Oh yes I remember the "old" Farmer's Market it was the best and in some ways it still is. I'll see you later this afternoon, maybe?

 
At 11:20 AM PST, Anonymous Donna said...

Great cards. You have to love the style back then! I missed VPF but was still at my daughter's. I did post on the event we attended last night. Have a wonderful weekend and don't have too much fun!

 
At 3:26 PM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Great postcards. I love ones that show ladies all decked out to go shopping. Those were the days!

 
At 12:14 AM PST, Blogger mj said...

I remember taking relatives from St. Louis, MO to the Farmers Market when I was just a kid. Someone bought me a Bobbsey Twins book from there. I miss the little shops in the middle of the parking lot and the Minnetonka store! I love the photo of the ladies in front of Phil's.

 
At 1:16 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:28 PM PST, Anonymous Chris said...

I'm not a big candy person, but your comment about honeycomb reminded me of the best honeycomb I ever had. Although it was not in dear beloved Los Angeles. This place is INCREDIBLE and they will mail it to you.. http://www.parksidecandy.com/

 
At 12:36 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

golden goose
kevin durant shoes
off white clothing
fear of god clothing
jordan 11
kd shoes
off white
kd 14
birkin bag
authentic jordans

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery