Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Holiday Weekend

Oooo....it was a busy weekend for us in Los Angeles! We didn't even really go anywhere....just stayed in the area. Los Angeles is a vacation destination, after all!
I took the day off on Friday. Larry and I drove to The Country General Store in Van Nuys to pick up a birthday gift for my brother, Ken. His b-day is on June 12th. I LOVE that store! It's the best source for western wear in the City! The customer service is exceptional too. The store has been family owned since the early 1970's. It started out as a surplus store and morphed into C&W gear. I will definitely visit this emporium again!
Since my L.A. bred and born husband had NEVER been to Langer's Deli, near MacArthur Park, we flew down the freeway for lunch at this historic spot. Langer's has been touted as having the very best hand-cut pastrami in the United States. I must say, I've tasted pastrami at many of the delicatessans in the L.A. area and Langer's pastrami is divine. It's not too spicy, but has some zing. It's never fatty. On suggestion by Beth, we split the #19 sandwich. It was positively fabulous! For dessert, we split a piece of warm noodle kugel....very custardy and tasty. Too bad Langer's isn't open on Sundays. We'd be regular customers!
That evening we visited the Rhino Records Pop-Up Store on Westwood Blvd. Rhino Records had a legendary store, close to this location for years and years. It was a mecca for record nerds and a hang-out for many musicians. The pop-up store was open only from May 17th through May 31st, offering tons of bargains on vinyl records, CDs, books, posters and various other music-related tsatkes. There was also a silent auction of various memorbilia. Larry had been visiting daily to catch a few bargains. On Friday, musician Peter Case, backed by D.J. Bonebrake, performed a set of songs.
Choice Merchandise
It was really fun hanging out with many of our old friends. It was even funnier to notice that most of the people in the shop were over 45 years old! Who buys CDs or records anymore? Everyone downloads their music. Not us. We still own turntables and various other casette/CD players!
Needless to say, we visited the Pop-Up store again over the weekend. Stay tuned for more.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 3:37 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, I'm *just* this side of the 45-and-up cutoff - but only for a couple more weeks. But I've embraced music downloads wholeheartedly - they sure take up a lot less space in my teeny apartment than all my records used to :)

 
At 3:46 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

That sandwich looks and sounds so yummy - the problem is I don't eat red meat. Make it with Turkey and I am all over it.

I am so bummed that I did not go to Rhino last night. I wasn't sure how late it was open.

Always a jam packed weekend for the Bloom - Underhill's!

 
At 4:19 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

OH....I have got to try that pastrami. I have never been to Langer's either. Must get there.

I am so hungry right now.

Now I am going to be dreaming of pastrami. My favorite is at Greenblat's.

 
At 4:36 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I LOVE Langers! My favorite is the #11 (Turkey, ham, and swiss on rye with russian dressing).

Richard Foos (Formerly of Rhino Records/currently Shout!Factory President) sent an email about the pop-up store in April. I guess I should have told you but I didn't think about it. The merchandise was mostly from his own collection and other donations, and benefited CHRYSALIS (not the label), a non-profit organization based in Los Angeles, whose mission and purpose is to help thousands of homeless people find employment and become self-sufficient. So you can feel good about your purchases.

 
At 5:14 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I was *just* reading a review of Langers ... somewhere. I like the fact that you have pics to go along with the review!! Mmmmm...warm noodle kugel. Sounds divine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery