Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Mardi Gras - L.A. Style

Ellen and Larry @ The Original Farmers Market Mardi Gras

Mardi Gras is a BIG DEAL at our house. Larry and I met in New Orleans at Jazz Fest, 1990. Two years later we got married on Fat Tuesday. In the Summer of '92 we had a huge backyard New Orleans-style wedding reception with food, music and dancing from Louisiana. Yeah, you right!
In 21 years we have never missed the Mardi Gras celebration at the Original Farmers Market. Even before Larry and I knew each other we were both at 3rd and Fairfax celebrating. We LOVE the music associated with Mardi Gras....lots of Swamp Pop, Cajun, Zydeco and traditional New Orleans Jazz tunes that make you get up and dance! There's a song by the Wild Magnolias called "New Suit." It's a tradition within the tribes of parade "Indians" in N.O. to make a new suit every year. These suits can be really elaborate. Almost every year, I try to carry on that tradition in my own way by making Larry a NEW HAT for our local Mardi Gras celebration!
I've made hats, berets, headbands, sewn fancy jackets and more, all in traditional New Orleans colors, gold, purple and green. We have a collection of beads and medallions that we don too. Yeah, it's a party.

Thai-Inspired Mardi Gras Hat
Larry goes bead-crazy!

This year, I started crocheting a crown for Larry. I'm still working on it, but I'm not that thrilled with the results. I made it a bit too small. I may be able to salvage this crown, but I have another idea!
I forgot that I had this GORGEOUS Malabrigo yarn in almost perfect Mardi Gras colors! I just need to add some green to the mix, and soft yellow for the pointed crown portion.
Oooo.....this is gonna be one faboo Mardi Gras Crown!
If you forgot to order your King Cake from Louisiana, you can get one at Thee's Bakery, Farmers Market. Below, I fashioned my own King Cake by picking up some ready-made coffee cakes at the market and then I added white icing and sprinkled with green, gold and purple sugars! Voila! Big EASY King Cake, with the emphasis on EASY!

Bon Ton Roulet, Y'all!

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 1:20 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

I came upon this post while looking for mardi gras yarn, which I love and that of mardi gras too. I make my family king cakes, alot of cakes, jewelry and whatever turns them on. I love the last crown hat, do you have a pattern to sell. I will swat any of my ideas with you and I can see you love mardi gras too. Thanks fay moseley, crenique@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery