Thursday, July 14, 2011

Yarn! Downtown L.A.


After visiting MOCA and having lunch in Little Tokyo on Monday, we found the Mexican Thread and Yarn Company near the Garment District (425 So. Los Angeles Street, LA).
This shop is chock full of acrylic yarn, from thin embroidery thread all the way up to worsted weight. There are tons of solid colors to choose from and a few variegated choices.

They have lots of embroidery patterns and baby items marked with embroidery charts. There are also tablecloths and other home items ready to embroider. The shop carries thicker nylon cord to crochet and knit handbags too. The thing is, you have to purchase a whole bag of 12 skeins of ONE color of yarn. You cannot get a mixed bag. Soooooo, if you're going and want multiple colors, take a friend and trade skeins!
I purchased a bag of sport weight, olive green rayon yarn...12 skeins for $24. This is approximately 3,500 yards of yarn!!! Wow!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 12:30 PM PDT, Blogger Wooly Annimals said...

Wohow, my husband is lucky, that i can´t go to the shop, because we live in Germany, and so i can´t buy me too many yarn... ;o)

It´s the paradise for every yarnaholic. ;o) I want go to paradise...

Have a beautiful time.

Lovely greets
Annika

 
At 3:16 PM PDT, Blogger Sharon Marie said...

Darn--I wish I would have known of that place when I visited my friend in Hemet this summer. It would have made a nice side trip!

 
At 7:12 AM PDT, Blogger Leslie said...

I almost hyperventilated just looking at the top picture! Good thing I don't live near LA or I wouldn't be able to stop myself from going to this shop.

I love the color you chose. What are you thinking of making with it?

 
At 8:21 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Leslie,
I'll probably make a cardigan with the olive green yarn. I do have quite a bit of yarn, so a shawl or a scarf might accompany the cardi.

Ellen B.

 
At 11:55 AM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

But can you pet the yarn before you buy? I think that would be a bigger factor in choosing than having to purchase the yarn by the bag, but maybe that's just me.

 
At 11:56 AM PDT, Blogger ratmammy said...

I grew up in Little tokyo (went to maryknoll for 9 years off of Hewitt) and was excited to see this post. I have been trying to contact the store, though, because I am now in San Diego and do not want to make the drive up there just to find it is not open on a Saturday . Do you have any ideas if they may be open on Saturday - of this week? thanks!

 
At 12:12 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi ratmammy. Saturday is a fairly busy day in the garment district. I assume that this shop in open on Saturdays. Call them during biz hours M-F 213-625-5920.

 
At 6:23 PM PDT, Blogger ratmammy said...

Thank you Ellen! It has been years since I've trolled the garment district (not since the 70's!!) but this shall be a treat for us. I will call them on Monday. thank you so much!

 
At 6:27 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hey ratmammy! Are you on Ravelry? If so, "friend" me. I'm ellblo. I'd love to see what you purchase at the shop!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery