Friday, July 01, 2011

Vintage Photo Friday

Ellen, Roz & Kenny Bloom Beverly Hills, 1956
...wearing our Aloha togs after Grandma's and Grandpa's trip to Hawaii

I've heard that today is the 70th anniversary of the Hawaiian shirt! You can read a bit of history here. It is Aloha Friday, after all!
For years, Larry and I scoured thrift shops from here to Twentynine Palms in search of vintage Hawaiian shirts. He has picked up a few faboo ones over the years.

I found this Hawaiian tuxedo jacket at a shop in Yucca Valley at least 20 years ago. It's a perfect fit for Mr. Larry!

We often attend Hawiiana - Tiki events. There's lots of interest in all things "tiki" here in California. A few years ago we attended "In Search of Tiki," an exhibition at the Forest Lawn Cemetery, Glendale. All of the greats of tiki-dom were in attendance (wearing their Hawaiian shirts), including the founders of Oceanic Arts in Whittier, Leroy Schmalz and Bob Van Oosting.

Doug Nason, Bob Van Oosting and Leory Schmalz Forest Lawn Art Gallery, 2008

Hawaiiana @The Egyptian Theater!

4th of July weekend is the perfect time to honor this anniversary of the Hawaiian shirt! Wear your shirt proudly this weekend and strum a few tunes on your ukulele!

Elvis Presley, "Blue Hawaii," 1961

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 4:39 PM PDT, Blogger Barbara said...

Just want to say that I always find your blog to be one of the most interesting of the ones I read regularly. Thanks!

 
At 9:08 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the blog compliment, Barbara. I really appreciate it! Happy 4th of July!

 
At 11:46 AM PDT, Blogger Angela said...

Hi! I have a question for you about the garden of Oz...will you email me umustchill@gmail.com?

 
At 8:05 PM PDT, Blogger Robin T said...

I'm sitting here this very moment with one of Kenny Bloom's Pardessus bowed dulcimers resting in my lap; Kenny looked great in his Hawaiian shirt! :)

 
At 11:41 PM PDT, Blogger blandina said...

How interesting, I never thought that behind the hawaian shirt there could be a story. Happy 4th of July!

 
At 9:06 PM PDT, Blogger betty said...

Love that Hawaiian tux!

 
At 8:30 PM PST, Anonymous Black Tuxedos said...

I admire the fashion of the Hawaiian Tuxedo. It is wonderful quite fashionable and yet dashing. :D
I enjoy reading your article and It never bores me a bit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery