Friday, August 08, 2008

MUST-SEE Art Show

Forest Lawn, Glendale
Last night, Larry and I were invited to the opening of "In Search of Tiki" at the Forest Lawn Museum. Yes, Forest Lawn Cemetery has a beautiful museum! In fact, all around the "park" there are amazing sculptures, paintings, mosaics, etc. The history of art at the park is legendary. Founder, Dr. Hubert Eaton wanted the park to reflect art and history, not death. If you've seen the movie or read the novel, "The Loved One," you'll know all about the "necropolis" known as Forest Lawn!
ANYWAY, this exhibit, curated by our friend Doug Nason and Jeff Fox is really a MUST-SEE. It's an inspiring display of the historic elements blended with the pop culture elements of tiki. I'm assuming, after seeing other exhibits at Forest Lawn Museum, that they specialize in religious exhibits. Well, tiki is the religion of the Polynesian and Island people, so I suppose it qualifies. Dr. Eaton purchased "Moai", an Easter Island carved statue for the Park's permanent collection many years ago. This is what inspired Doug Nason to contact the Gallery and pursue this show. The exhibit will be up for many months. I urge you to see it.
In addition to this expansive show, there are many tiki-related items in the gift shop. Where else can you buy tiki drink coasters alongside replicas of historic European crucifixes and rosary beads?

For this special evening, there were passed Polynesian hors 'd oeuvers, drinks, a live band called the Dynotones playing surf music and quite a festive atmosphere.
I'm thinking of taking my little knit group up there soon to view the exhibit and just sit in the "park" and knit. This would make an excellent field trip! Have a great weekend everyone. See you at the cemetery!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 2:02 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

I actually have not read "The Loved One" but it's on my list now, along the Mitford novel mentioned in the Wikipedia article.

And yes, that would be an excellent knitter's field trip! I've sat & knitted in the Avalon cemetery a few times.

 
At 2:05 PM PDT, Blogger Faith said...

Ellen - I'd absolutely love to join you if you're going to make it happen. And I live about 1 mi. away! Please let me know!

 
At 2:56 PM PDT, Blogger Maria said...

Ellen, I saw you and Larry last night but got too shy to come up and say "Hi."

 
At 4:41 PM PDT, Blogger Viva Scrapper! said...

Oh Wow....thanks for posting that! I feel a "date night" with the DSB and I is in order!

 
At 5:53 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hey! Maria or anyone else who sees me at a public event....PLEASE come up to me and say hello! I love to talk to fellow blogsters!!!

 
At 7:25 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

The exhibit looks great. Joe and I will have to make a trip.

 
At 7:35 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Field Trip? YES!!! and can we bring snacks? cuz you know there are some who knit and some who like to visit and chit and chat and drink wine.
brit

 
At 12:41 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

A tiki knitting event?! May I come, too? I'll even accessorize.

Looks like the opening bash was awesome. The gift shop shots were making me drool...so many tiki mugs I haven't seen before...guh. And were you all given one of those souvenir necklackes? Very cool.

Now, where's my mai tai mix?

 
At 3:34 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funky can you get?! And what terrific clothes! When I was growing up in Menlo Park, nearly 40 years ago this summer, I read James Michener's "Hawaii" and sewed myself a muu-muu made out of fabulous dark blue and black fabric. I loved it, and wore it till it fell apart. It would have fit right in at that opening. Thanks for your wonderful blog and your great taste in art of all sorts.

 
At 9:38 PM PDT, Blogger Kevin Kidney said...

Unfortunately had to miss the opening night with all the pageantry, but will get to see the exhibit this week. Fun and informative blog you have here, Ellen!

 
At 4:53 AM PST, Anonymous joomla girl said...

my what interesting events you go to! and at a cemetery too..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery