Tuesday, May 05, 2015

New Grocery Store

What's in Your Shopping Cart?


New grocery stores always interest me.  I do most of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's, Ralph's and Von's.  They're convenient.  Once in awhile I take a trip to Sprouts in Culver City, but I never come out with a full basket. Whole Foods' nickname is Whole Paycheck, but they do have great take-out. The only reason I walk into Bristol Farms is if I need a specialty item. I do like visiting the Bristol on Beverly Blvd. near Doheny where Chasen's Restaurant used to be. A small portion of the dining room is still intact with red leather booths, paneling and photos. Of course, I may run over to Gelson's for their excellent bakery.  Also, there's a new Smart and Final in my neighborhood that is huge and carries EVERYTHING that the chain supermarkets have. If I really need some extra special beef or poultry, we live close to the Original Farmers Market, and I like to see what Huntington's and Marconda's Meats have to offer.
As you can see, I'm not really a loyal shopper. I'll shop anywhere that's convenient and where I can find reasonable prices.
My friend, Christine lives in Burbank. She was very excited that Haggen Stores opened at a former Albertson's Market on Verdugo and Hollywood Way. I happened to be in Burbank for a short time on Saturday afternoon, so I stopped in to see what all the excitement was about. Haggen is a chain from the Pacific Northwest that specializes in offering more organic food and local products to their customers. 
Haggen in Burbank
Haggen carries Cheese Curds in Various Flavors. Are we in Wisconsin?

I liked the store. The prices were fair, the produce was gorgeous, the aisles were wide and the store personnel were helpful. The meat and poultry department looked good.  Also, there was a deli counter with prepared salads, sandwiches, etc. The store had many of the same items that the big chains carry, which is good for one-stop shopping.

Interesting Beer Choices at Haggen!

Since I wasn't going to be near a refrigerator for the next few hours, I only purchased a few items.  I also did a bit of research and found out that there will be two Haggens not far from our house.  Both are replacing Albertsons.  One is on Venice near Robertson, the other on Sepulveda and Palms.  Woo Hoo!  I like having choices.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:40 PM PDT, Blogger Carol Starr Schneider said...

Remember Jurgensons? Now that was a market!

 
At 2:42 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Oh yeah! Jurgenson's. We had one in BH too. Very fancy AND they delivered!!

 
At 6:16 PM PDT, Blogger Sarah said...

CURDS!!! I bet they don't squeak as much as the fresh Wisconsin curds.

 
At 7:06 PM PDT, Blogger Connie H. said...

Thank you for this positive look at the Haggen markets. My local Albertsons will be changing over in a couple of weeks. First feelings from the staff is that it is going to be positive. They are keeping our beloved store managers and the rest of the staff. We are all hopeful that the prices will be more competitive without sacrificing quality. I am very fond of our checkers and managers and hope that this will be a good thing for all of us.

 
At 7:15 AM PDT, Blogger blandina said...

I am visiting my son in Woodland Hills and next time I need shopping I will go and have a look. Haggen sounds the perfect compromise between quality and price, thank you for the information!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery