Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Collections - Chickens

Chicken Lamp from Robbie's Collection
This will be one in a series of posts about my friends and their collections of stuff. We are all collectors in our own way. I collect yarn, vintage knitting and crochet books and magazines, ceramic poodles, pixies, pottery including piece by: Sasha Brastoff, Roseville, Hull, Weller, Bauer, costume jewelry, vintage scarves and hankies and more. My husband, Larry collects old records, books on UFOs, vintage posters, postcards, photos, Kodachrome slides, fast food collectible toys, ventriloquist dummies, mannequin parts, guitars and more and more. Last week I wrote about ephemera. Most of our friends collect some sort of vintage stuff. Our get-togethers are usually centered around our collections of stuff, talking about our collections, photographing our collections, trading our collections, etc. We are consumed by our stuff. I'm not complaining about this, but I wish I could own some sort of museum with a staff that would catalog and take care of our collectibles.
Chickens are a popular collectible. My friend, Amy has the ultimate chicken, Chicken Boy. She also collects ceramic chickens, plush chickens, chicken ephemera, etc.
Another one of my friends, Robbie Helta (Matheson) has an incredible chicken collection in a small area....her kitchen. We were at her house (that she shares with her husband, Brandon) on New Years Eve. I was obsessed with photographing all of Robbie's chicken stuff. Her kitchen contains most of her collection. She put all of her dishes, cups, saucers, etc. in another place just so she could display her chicken collection on her kitchen shelves. Robbie is a wonderful cook and she is always inviting over tons of friends for marvelous meals (including chicken). We often eat right off her chicken plates! All of Robbie's friends (me, included) have fed her chicken obsession by gifting her with ceramic chickens, chicken paintings, chicken books, chicken plates, cups, saucers, bowls, etc., chicken aprons, lamps and more. I like to call Robbie's kitchen The Chick-a-bilia Shrine.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 1:06 PM PST, Blogger Lori said...

love the stained--glass chicken! My college roommate had a stained-glass turtle! (because she collected turtles)

 
At 6:03 AM PST, Anonymous nicky said...

Collections are fun! I collect world of warcraft stuff. I really enjoy your blog.

 
At 1:37 PM PDT, Blogger Lady barbara said...

love your blog! One morning, while living in Westwood, I woke up after a night of partying with the girls with a giant cut out of a cow by my side. Have loved them ever since! I think I may have bought it at z-galery after several of those "potted parrot" drinks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery