Friday, January 27, 2006

Year of the Dog

Thrift Shop & Estate Sale Finds
Chinese New Year starts with the New Moon on the first day of the new year (Sunday, January 29, 2006) and ends on the full moon 15 days later. The 15th day of the new year is called the Lantern Festival, which is celebrated at night with lantern displays and children carrying lanterns in a parade. This year, Los Angeles' Chinatown is having their Golden Dragon Parade and celebration on Saturday, February 4th.
According to the internets, the rotating cycle of twelve animal signs was a folk method for naming the years in traditional China. The animal signs have an established order and are repeated every twelve years. This is the Year of the Dog. So, if you were born in 1922, 1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, 2006, the internets say that you possess the best traits of human nature. You have a deep sense of loyalty, are honest, and inspire other people’s confidence because you know how to keep secrets. HOWEVER, the internets also states that Dog People are somewhat selfish, terribly stubborn, and eccentric. They care little for wealth, yet somehow always seem to have money. They can be cold emotionally and sometimes distant at parties. They can find fault with many things and are noted for their sharp tongues. Dog people make good leaders. They are compatible with those born in the Years of the Horse, Tiger, and Rabbit.
I don't know if I agree with all of the above. Maybe Auntie Purl can help in the Horoscope Department. I do know that I like dogs (even though I don't own one). I have an extensive poodle collection. My poodles are ceramic, metal, pins, dishes, etc. They're very easy to take care for and I never have any vet bills.
I also know that I love going to Chinatown in downtown L.A. The area has experienced a resurgence in recent years. The Phoenix Bakery makes the yummiest cakes ever. The Metro Gold Rail runs right into Chinatown and provides an overhead flight into the area through an impressive Chinese style station. One of my most fave restaurants is Hop Woo...they have the BEST wonton soup ever...plus they have a free parking lot which is a plus in this crowded and vibrant area. Wing Hop Fung Ginseng and China Products Center on Broadway has tons of wonderful items for sale...incense, tea, knick-knacks, etc. There are a slew of art galleries on Chung King Road. The Happy Lion , L2Kontemporary and Black Dragon Society are a few of my faves. I'll see you in Chinatown on 2/4 for the big celebration!
Back to dogs. I recently read a blurb in the L.A. Weekly about designer dogs. People have been cross-breeding and coming up with some interesting combinations, per Jon Alain Guzik, here are some of the new combos: Boxerdoodle (Boxer/Poodle), Cockapoo (Cocker Spaniel/Poodle), Labradoodle (Labrador Retriever/Poodle), Peek-A-Pom (Peekingese/Poodle), Puggle (Pug/Beagle), Pugapoo (Pug/Poodle), Saint Berdoodle (Saint Bernard/Poodle)....somehow, I just can't imagine this last one!
Decorative Plate by Sasha Brastoff (1960's)
Happy weekend to all....enjoy the many celebrations in The Year Of The Dog!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:49 PM PST, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

thanks for reminding me! i always remember that i want to go right after it's already happened.

ps- if you change yourmind about the car tonight, let me know! :) haha

 
At 3:11 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I think people are breeding those doggies just so they can come up with some far out names! Labradoodle has got to be my favorite. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

 
At 4:11 PM PST, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

I had a great Cockapoo growing up but we called it a MUTT!
Those poodles are sluts!

 
At 11:55 AM PST, Blogger Tigre said...

Congrats on your dog. I've been to LA once and hada bad experience...pretty city though.

 
At 11:02 AM PST, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

I love Hop Woo too! We should go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery