Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Ukulele Crochet

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Crocheted Lei by Christine
One hobby leads to the next! My interest in crochet and knitting has been around for decades...so has my interest in music! Last night was my third ukulele lesson at McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica. Many of the students and our teacher have started wearing Hawaiian shirts to class. Our teacher, Steve Rose, even started composing a song, "...feels like ukulele weather to me....tra-la..." Playing the ukulele in this humid L.A. weather just feels right. It feels like Hawaii. Now, if only we had those pristine beaches and exquisite tropical plants around every corner!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ukulele Instructor, Steve Rose
(notice Johnny Cash sneering at Steve)
Back to crochet. My friend, the lovely Christine, crocheted me a multi-colored lei last week. She used the basic pattern from Roberta E. Wong's "Fancy Hawaiian Lei in Crochet" book. The varigated yarn makes this crocheted lei look fantastic! This book was brought to my attention by M.K. Carroll, a fellow blogger. I own the previous book by Wong called "Hawaiian Lei in Crochet." Both books are great, excellent instructions and photographs....very inspirational. I tried my hand at crocheting a lei. I don't like my attempt as much as I like Christine's lei. I'm going to make another lei in a complimentary color and twist it with my first lei to give it some bulk. Hmm? Maybe I should make a few of these for my ukulele classmates?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ellen's Skinny Lei
Uke class last night was fun, but challenging. Our teacher gave us a Hoagy Carmichael song ("Up a Lazy River") with lots of 7th and diminished chords....ugh! My fingers just won't bend that way! Must practice alot this week! There were a few absences, which gave us more room to move about in our cramped lesson quarters. Our last class is scheduled for next Monday, but McCabe's may be able to offer us an extension of two more classes. Hope so...I really like this challenge! Now, I want to learn some more strumming techniques and some hot riffs and licks! Watch out, Janet Klein, L.A. Ell is on her way to stardom!!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 12:20 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Aurgh. My fingers ache just imagining what you're doing in that class! Love the leis, tho.

 
At 12:50 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved making your lei. In fact I started one in a bright orange, just as yours is, but didn't have enough yarn. Great minds think alike!!

I'm going to be making some pink carnations from the pattern you so thoughtfully gave me; I'm going to use the pretty pink yarn I bought from Faith at last year's yard sale.

 
At 2:08 PM PDT, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

(my damn internet is back up after a spell)I knew your crocheting genious would somehow work into your Uke lessons. You've got mad skills!

 
At 2:30 PM PDT, Blogger Charles said...

I use to live Hawaii for a six year..Lei is symble of Thank you and greeting!!!I use to make a lei with ribbon!!!It is so much to make it!!!!
Also Did you got my email? We have NEW knitting meeting Sat Aug 11. If wanna come and join!!!!! See more info about th meeting in my blog!!!! Bye

 
At 5:05 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *love* the rainbow lei, and that hot bright color you chose for your skinny one is fantastic.

 
At 5:43 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the compliments everyone!!! Maybe if people are looking at my crocheted lei, they won't notice the missed ukulele notes!!!

 
At 5:19 PM PDT, Blogger tk said...

Your leis are great... have you ever seen Janet Klein play? We saw her once at the silent movie theater... she's too much!

 
At 8:31 AM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

Ha ha ha! Steve'd better get that uke right or Johnny's gonna pop open a can of whup-ass on him!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery