Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Starting Projects

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A Portion of Ellen's Yarn
I know that I have yarn attention deficit disorder (YADD). I'm sure you do too! When I purchase a new yarn, I want to try it out right away. I can't let well enough alone and just knit or crochet a swatch, label with the size hooks I used and wrap it all up in plastic until I decide on a project. No way. I have to jump right in and start a project with my new yarn. Of course, this project is usually large-ish and I get bored with it after a few days or I change my mind on how to use the yarn. The abandoned project and the yarn will sit in a tote bag with the hooks, needles, notes, etc. until I get back to it. Sometimes, I may not get back to a project for years, thereby tying up the totebag, needles, etc. My house is full of half-started projects. I keep buying the same size needles and hooks over and over again because most of my supplies are buried in these totebags with the new-ish yarns and incomplete projects. All of this "yarn-crastination" happens because I whip up small projects in-between the larger ones. I often will crochet up squares for a charity afghan, scarves for U.S. soldiers, washcloths for gifts, etc.
Some stitchers call these larger, abandoned projects WIPs or Works in Progress. You can also refer to the neglected projects as UFO's or Unfinished Objects. This illness can be titled anything you want, but it's serious and I'm afflicted! Oy! You'd think that after over 35 years of this behavior, I'd change.
Last year I went thru all of my totebags of projects and sorted out the yarn, supplies, etc. into bins and shelves that darling Mr. Larry provided for me. Well, that was last year. I'm 8 months behind on my yarn-sorting duties. I love to take photos of my new projects and post them. Once in awhile, I'll write about a finished project. Think about it, you'll rarely see a large finished project on my blog.
OK, my blog is my confessional. You are the priest. Hi, my name is Ellen and I'm a yarn-a-holic. But, you already knew that. How will I ever gain absolution?
Below, see some of my WIPs and UFOs.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My Brother's Cardigan Vest

Cascade Wool...Almost Finished

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The "Ana Tank" - Blue Heron Yarn

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My Boss's Granny Square Afghan

I have finished this, except for adding the border

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One Sad Slipper, Looking for a Partner

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lizard Ridge Crochet Samples

I purchased TONS of gorgeous Noro online for this project!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 6:17 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, Dah, dah, dah, dah...you have absolution.
Feel better? Now get into that stash and make us a designer purse

 
At 9:51 PM PDT, Blogger Alicia said...

I'm a new yarn-aholic, and I am already over my head with projects. In fact I had great ideas and plans for my first weho stitch -n witch... I have no idea how I'll show up tomorrow...

 
At 11:30 PM PDT, Blogger Abby Hansen said...

Wow.
I don't feel so bad now.
But heaven help me now that I've added "sewer" to my personality (and bins).

See you tomorrow!

 
At 9:32 AM PDT, Blogger LizKnits said...

that is one impressive stash!!
Thanks for the ongoing entertaining posts.

 
At 10:22 AM PDT, Blogger Sara said...

It's always so comforting to know that I'm not the only one with WIPs that are years old.

 
At 3:40 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Holy crap. I really needed to see that - NOT. Now, to justify everything, I can say, "Well at least I'm not as bad as Ellen", but only by a wee bit. Sigh. My name is MonkeyGurl, and I'm a yarnaholic.

 
At 6:32 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Maybe I need absolution more than you, Ellen, because I don't think your number of projects are out of hand! And goodness knows, you can never have too much yarn. (wink nudge) Well, unless you didn't have enough money for Top Ramen...

Crazy obsessive knitters/crocheters unite!

 
At 3:20 PM PST, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

I love you Ellen...a stash after my own heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery