Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Crochet With Knitting

Crocheted Sleeves w/ Knitted Cuffs

I'm in the process of crocheting a top-down cardigan with black Bernat Lana wool. I'm done with the body of the sweater and working on the finishing touches. I crocheted a cable up the front of the cardigan, near the opening. I just LOVE cables! HOWEVER, I really do think that knitted cables look better than crocheted cables. So, for the cuffs and collar of this sweater I've decided to knit cables. I'm using the basic pattern from the Twisted Sisters' Boyfriend Scarf from a few years ago, which makes a reversible, two-sided cable. If I turn the cuffs up on the sweater, the cable will still be visible...same thing for the collar.
Knitted Reversible Cable Strip
This type of cable is bordered by garter stitch. Then, the cable is knit in a 1 x 1 rib, thereby making it reversible. Brilliant! I've finished the cuffs and sewed them to the sleeves. I like the look sooooo much, that I'm thinking of knitting new borders for the cardigan opening in the same pattern and just stitching them to the existing opening.
I was cruising the blogs the other day and came across a knitter/crocheter who knits cables in long strips and then joins them with crochet. Of course, I can't find the post again, but the image is burned in my brain of a green chunky knit cable with double crochet stitches running up one side as the beginning of a sweater. LOVE this idea, because then the crochet stitches are vertical instead of horizontal, giving the sweater a slimmer look!
Cardigan in Process w/ Crocheted Cable Border

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 12:17 PM PST, Blogger Madge said...

Yay for comingling crochet and knitting!

And cables rule. Those cuffs are super spiffy.

 
At 5:09 PM PST, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

You go with your combo yarn weilding! *Love* it!

 
At 9:33 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was your pattern for the crocheted cables? ;-)

 
At 10:35 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

I found a crocheted cable pattern in an old magazine from the 70's.
There's a tutorial on crocheted cables on About.com, here:

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa042603.htm

 
At 7:33 AM PST, Blogger Amy O'Neill Houck said...

How fun--I love reversible cables--in fact, I've just been ruminating on how one might design a reversible cable scarf in crochet--your cuffs (and the rest of your cardi_ are so awesome--what a great color the yarn is! It shows the stitch definition very well.

Amy

 
At 3:25 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOoooh, great idea!

I missed Saturday snb, will you be wearing this amazing sweater on Thursday night??
xo
laurie

 
At 12:07 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! It's the reverse of the typical knitted cardigan with crocheted edging!

Kim Burk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery