Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Oh No, Not Salvatore Again!

Frenesia Crocheted Satchel by Salvatore Ferragamo
Retail Price $2,150

Remember last year when I was obsessed with the Salvatore Ferragamo knitted and leather handbag? I created my Faux-Ragamo. Well, this year Ferragamo has come out with a similar bag in crocheted motifs. It is gorgeous. I KNOW I could easily copy this bag. The only problem...I'm not a leather worker and the top or structure of the bag would never be as sturdy or durable as the original Frenesia Satchel. Also, I have barely used my original Faux-Ragamo because it's off-white. I NEVER wear off-white. Off-white gets really dirty quickly; it's a pain to wash, blah, blah, blah.
Maybe I'll make this bag and change up the colors so it's more wearable for me. Hmmm? I do have one of those plastic purse forms used for free-form handbags.....I could use the form to add structure to the bag. I also picked up a great black and silver braided leather handle at Stitches West. Maybe a matt-black yarn for the top of the bag and a durable grey for the body? The ideas are starting to percolate!
Leather Strap Looking for a Purse
Ellen's Faux-Ragamo Handbag - 2006 Original Ferragamo Knit Bag

Lionbrand's Knit Pattern
I must say, recently I've received many requests from blog-stalkers that I don't know for the knit pattern for the bag. I'd like everyone to know that the pattern is now posted on the Lionbrand free pattern site as Purse # 60402. You do have to register as a member for the free patterns, but it's worth it. The Lionbrand site is chock full o' great patterns.

10 Comments:

At 3:29 PM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

Hate to tell you this, but yours looks waaay cuter than the Lion Brand version.

We want yours (when you do want to carry it, we'll lend it back to you).

 
At 3:52 PM PDT, Blogger mary said...

I agree. Yours looks way better than the Lion Brand one. That new Farragamo is da bomb! And it needs that hand tooled leather to really rock it. I'll be watching with baited breath for how you work your version of it.

 
At 5:41 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

DUDE - I am so LOVIN' that purse strap you bought!!! That is so gorgeous. Even without a plan, I'm glad you bought it, but I have no problem thinking you'll come up with something amazing to do it justice.

Oh, and I concur with the previous 2 sentiments.

 
At 7:55 PM PDT, Blogger mj said...

It hardly looks like the same pattern!! I wouldn't even reference it, if I were you. Yours is truely unique and beautiful! And anytime you need Nancy Drew, call me up!

 
At 10:29 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a felted bag that Eunny Jang made leather straps for mentioned on her blog See Eunny Knit; I think there's some info posted on how she did it. You may be able to buy leather at a Tandy store or have a shoe repair place make them for you, they'd have the equipment.

 
At 11:00 PM PDT, Blogger mehitabel said...

I agree, yours is much much classier than the LB one--the smaller gauge, and the cute top treatment make it work. I suppose LB had some copyright issues with making a more faithful copy. I think you could do the new one, and I love your idea of using the SW purse strap and doing it in black and grey! I might even have to give it a try--I have a daughter who's a real purse-aholic.

 
At 8:30 AM PDT, Blogger Merna said...

Ellen, why not dye last year's faux bag? It's too cute not too use.

 
At 9:07 AM PDT, Blogger Dana said...

I agree with the dye aspect. If you won't carry it as-is, fix it so you will. Too cute to collect dust on the shelves!

 
At 9:36 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I have to agree with the Amen Chorus, yours is so much cuter than the LB version.

I LOVE crocheted and knit handbags!!! Yours is so so cute!

 
At 7:29 PM PDT, Blogger Pam said...

I love all those bags! Your faux-Ragamo bag is FANTASTIC! Love the corkscrew fringe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery